No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: unknown satin stopper bottles/decanters  (Read 1672 times)

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
unknown satin stopper bottles/decanters
« on: April 21, 2008, 07:44:48 PM »
hi all,

i have these bottles which are marked on the bottom with small gold square labels that say, "MADE IN ITALY - MURANO". one is cobalt, the other is a light turquoise color. the turquoise one is about .5" taller than the cobalt. both have a satin finish with clear, satin stoppers. they are sort of similar to some Moretti pieces that i've seen but i have not found others in this shape. any ideas on a possible maker and/or age? i'm out of ideas for further research so any ideas, guesses, hunches, etc are most appreciated.

thanks,

bidda

Mod: link corrected http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9858

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: unknown satin stopper bottles/decanters
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 08:01:41 PM »
 They do look so Moretti dont they.

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 12:47:43 AM »
Moretti is all that comes to mind when i look at them but in all my research i've never found this shape positively attributed as such, so... hopefully someone will recognize them.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 05:22:06 AM »
They look like Moretti to me, too. They look like the glass pictured on p.184 of Pina's Italian Glass, although the decanter there seems to have a flatter shoulder and obviously a different stopper. I wonder if Moretti made different forms and stopper for different distributors.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 02:36:32 PM »
They look like Moretti to me, too. They look like the glass pictured on p.184 of Pina's Italian Glass, although the decanter there seems to have a flatter shoulder and obviously a different stopper. I wonder if Moretti made different forms and stopper for different distributors.

David

David, good call. that's pretty close. have you seen this label before? it's so nondescript i wonder if it will be helpful at all in dating?

thanks,

bidda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand