No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mexborough glass makers 1840  (Read 7018 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Mexborough glass makers 1840
« on: April 21, 2008, 09:06:43 AM »
I am trying to track down the name of any glass manufacturers operating in Mexborough in the early 1840s (with no success so far).

A successful company was started there in 1850 (the Don Glass Bottle Works, which in 1869 led to the Barron's Phoenix Glass Works).  And in the 1860s Caleb Kilner opened a factory (the Providence Glass Works) in neighbouring Connisborough.

There are glass workers in Mexborough in the 1841 census, and people in those days walked to work.  Were they just working in small enterprises, or was there a major factory there in 1841?

Any help gratefully received!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Sue C

• Members

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Mexborough glass makers 1840
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 11:29:51 AM »
Hi Sue

Thanks for the links - I'd already tried 3 of them, and sadly none refer to the pre-1850s factories.

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 12:39:08 PM »
Hi Alan, had another look around, but dont know if this is any good for you.
http://www.rotherhamunofficial.co.uk/history/tradeandindustry/glass.html

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 01:43:02 PM »
Alan, I had a scout through Baines' Yorkshire 1822 and there's no glassworks listed for Mexborough in the directory then - the book uses the older spelling of Mexbrough so that may help a little in your searches. The population is given at around 840 so it wasn't a big place at that time - perhaps this indicates that any glassworks were later than 1822. If you have a population figure from the 1841 census a significant increase would indicate more industry. I'll have a looksee if I have any other West Yorks early directories here.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 04:45:24 PM »
Hi Anne

I've checked out the 1837 Rotherham area in White's Gazetteer, and only two Glass manufacturers are listed: Close & Clark at Catcliffe, and Beatsons in Rotherham.  Beatsons would be a 5 mile journey each way to and from work, and Catcliffe is even further, so I doubt that either fit the bill.  There were Glass Manufacturers in or near Mexborough some years later as I noted above, but none are evident in 1840.

To explain my interest, a certain William Thynn Gillinder is the glass worker who was living in Mexborough in 1841, with his elder brother Thomas (also a glass blower) and his family. They must both have worked somewhere!

Alan

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 05:09:49 PM »
Hi Allan, i dont see the problem of the glass works being five or six miles away, my nearest town is six miles away and i have walked it many times, as a matter of fact my son used to walk it twice a day when he worked for a time in the town.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 05:48:56 PM »
Hi Alan, there's an entry on Curious Fox by someone looking for the same family names (Thynn Gillinder) http://www.curiousfox.com/history/durham_50.html - may be worth contacting them if you haven't already found them.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 06:13:07 PM »
Hi Anne and Sue

Thanks for your further contributions.

I have been in touch with some of the distant Gillinder relatives, but not those you mention. Intriguingly, there are two people called William Gillender (or Gillinder - it seems to be optional), born in the same small part of the North East, one in 1820 and one in 1823. Both have fathers called William, and mothers with the maiden name Thynn - now is that a coincidence or what...! And it is not an error - they really are two different families - the other William Gillinder is a blacksmith.

I was not meaning to imply that 5 miles was physically too far to walk, but more that factories such as Baccarat , Val St Lambert and others wanted their workers right on their doorstep to call in at a moment's notice.  But if the Gillenders were just blowing bottles and so on out of tank glass that may not have been a problem.

Alan

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 11:53:30 PM »
I just noticed this bell for sale on ebay which may be relevant to this discussion, although I am not sure where it would fit in.  It is made by Whitefriars but is inscribed with BEATSON CLARK 1930 - 1980 STAIRFOOT WORKS.  I thought it might be of interest.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Whitefriars-Amber-Crystal-Glass-Bell--Beatson-Clark_W0QQitemZ370235348450QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090727?IMSfp=TL0907271710003r7168
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Glass-Lady/552453431473856

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand