No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help?? Turkish Style (Bohemian or Beligian)  (Read 3389 times)

Offline helens_antiques

• Members
help?? Turkish Style (Bohemian or Beligian)
« on: August 01, 2005, 04:42:19 PM »
HiYa All!!.....aquired this item from a house clearance of a late estate... checked my books, and the internet to try identify.....can't find....my guess is that it is Bohemian .... husband thinks it's French because of the dress code of the figure depicted. Item measures approx 8 1/2 inches high, jar and stopper are both free blown, seems to be hand decorated and the pictures of the man could be transfer printed....there are 3 pictures of this man around the circumferance. (One of the pics has him sporting 2 moustaches!!). Can anyone help?....have spent about 3 hrs trying to find a similar on the internet!...Cheers...Helen....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/helen_span/vase1.jpg ...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/helen_span/vase2.jpg .....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/helen_span/vase3.jpg ...

:roll:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
help?? Turkish Style (Bohemian or Beligian)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 08:39:36 PM »
I doubt very much if you will find anything like it on the net. It was made for the Turkish market, either in Bohemia or in Belgium around the end of the 19th century. The motif of the pasha is mostly found on a Nargile (water pipe) - I think the matching tobacco jar is rarer. I haven't got a clue what the value would be - either in Europe or in Turkey. In any case, they were quickly made and decorated, without much eye for detail.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: help??
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 08:46:43 PM »
Quote from: "helens_antiques"
One of the pics has him sporting 2 moustaches!!)

Looks to me like it's one colour transfer on top of another, and one has slipped slightly so they don't quite overlap as they should, which makes him look as if he has two moustaches!   :lol:

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline helens_antiques

• Members
thanks guys!!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 09:35:27 PM »
Thanks everone!! This is a super site....am new here, and am really glad I foubnd this site!!...Will list item on e-bay and give credit to this glass site forum!!...Cheers...Helen

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand