No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amethyst/Aubergine Bark Vase - ID = Whitefriars 9689  (Read 4722 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Amethyst/Aubergine Bark Vase - ID = Whitefriars 9689
« on: March 04, 2008, 08:50:43 AM »
Came across over the weekend. Measures 6in (15cm) high and a slightly uneven, unground rim. Base has a ground, polished pontil mark and unfinished base. Amethyst cased in clear.

My meagre knowledge in WF leads me to think it is not by it, so possibly Ingridglas?
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Definitely Whitefriars, pat. no. 9689, colour is 'aubergine'.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
It's absolutely spot on for Whitefriars!  It's quite easy to tell the difference between WF and Ingridglas when you've got one of each side by side to compare - the texture of the Ingridglas ones is very different and they often have an inch or so at the top without the texturing (and they don't have the ground pontil either).

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
OK, thanks, guys and gals! :clap: I was unsure as the texture did not feel right... but I'm no expert!

There is a slight lip on the rim - obviously a manufacturing flaw - but I assume this could be quite normal when it was mould-blown?

Edit - you can see it at the front of the rim photo
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
The rim's fine David - all the bark vases I've owned have had irregular rims - varying thicknesses etc - it looks OK to me.  I'm  :mrgreen: (but pleased for you of course!).

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Its spot on David, i see several of the ex workers in my club every Sunday lunch time so i can always check any W/Fs questions out,When they sober up.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Lovely piece David.  I have a cut down Ingridglass one, and the colour is quite different side to side.  The WF is plummier, the Ingrid more purple than aubergine.  And the texture on the Ingrid is in deep straight lines from top to bottom, whereas the WF is more in little oblongs.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Thanks all. Although this is not my vase, when it was originally listed it sold easily enough and was shipped to the seller. My friend (a newish eBayer) then gave feedback... and was then held to ransom by the buyer "not WF, dip in the rim, 1/8" too short (yes, honestly!) blah-di-blah"). So the vase was returned for a refund and I gave my (rather weak) appraisal that it could be Ingridglas.

But this has restored my faith. I will send it back to my friend who can now list without fear of contradiction (and without leaving feedback first!)
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Anyone who knows anything about WF will know that there is quite a bit of 'play' with regard to the sizes - your friend's buyer sounds like a right wally.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand