No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with identification of vase - Please and thanks!  (Read 3509 times)

Offline zidori

• Members
Help with identification of vase - Please and thanks!
« on: July 31, 2005, 06:28:26 PM »
Can anyone help a novice glass collector with identifying the latest acqisition, please? If I give you my train of thought on the matter (don't laugh!!) perhaps I'll be guided by more knowledgable people to a better understanding of the process. One can only hope.........

I bought this because I liked it (most important) and because it only cost £1.00 (another good reason!)

When I saw it I thought of Mtarfa glass and also of Franco Toffolo though closer examination madse my thoughts of Toffolo recede. Obviously, as a fall back I had to consider that it may well be Murano, though I thought the design somewhat unlike the Murano I have seen. There is an air of Monart/Vasart about it - even though I know it is definitely not that as I have a small collection of Scottish Glass. Nevertheless it reminded me of that which is why Toffolo came to mind. Are these the ramblings of an idiot or am I somewhere on the glass planet? Your contributions will be highly valued and appreciated. (Oops! Almost forgot to tell you that it is 7 and 1/2 inches in height.)
Regards
Ronnie

http://tinypic.com/9r0e8p.jpg

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 07:43:01 PM »
:D Hello again Ronnie, I'm happy to tell you that you are indeed on the glass planet, and I think you are perfectly correct with Mtarfa. I think the give-away is the slight bulge in the neck, not found in Mdina, to my knowledge. :D

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 07:49:07 PM »
Hi Guest
Thanks for contributing. I'm heartened by the fact that I am, at long last beginning to recognise the different glass types/makes though I have to say I will need to concentrate better as I hadn't noticed the "bulge" in the neck of the vase.
Regards
Ronnie

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 07:50:31 PM »
:oops:
I didn't mean to be a guest, I wasn't logged in.
 :oops:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand