No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium glass vase with 4 stepped feet.  (Read 955 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Uranium glass vase with 4 stepped feet.
« on: April 24, 2008, 04:07:43 PM »
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9877
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9875
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9876

This glows wonderfully in sunshine.  I haven't tried a UV light yet but expect it will do the same.  It doesn't appear in Pamela's Museum or the catalogues link and I'm just wondering if anyone recognises it.  It has four distinctive feet with a stepped pattern.  The pattern continues vertically as horizontal ridges.

TIA :)
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Uranium glass vase with 4 stepped feet.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 05:41:43 PM »
Try Sowerby, I have a rosebowl the same and I thought that was Sowerby. I'll look later...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: Uranium glass vase with 4 stepped feet. (Sowerby 2750?)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 06:16:07 PM »
It didn't look Sowerby to me and I immediately thought Czech, but you are right :) :hiclp:  Thanks for the prompt.  I've found a near match in Glen & Stephen's 'Sowerby's Ellison Glass Works Vol.Two George V to Elizabeth II' i.e. Illustrated list c.1940s page 4. 

A 'cupped' 8" high version (no.2750) is shown and there is mention of a 'straight' version but this isn't shown.   The cupped one shown came in amber, flint, blue and green, but no mention of uranium glass.  The cupped version also appears in Illustrated List no. 38 1956 p.5.  I'm just wondering if mine is the straight version, even though it flares outwards at the top (which would also probably account for it being over 9" tall too)?  Hopefully Glen will look in sometime.

;)

Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Uranium glass vase with 4 stepped feet.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 07:12:41 PM »
I think green was uranium until it stopped being uranium, if you see what I mean

I think the catalogues were indicative rather than comprehensive. My rose bowl isn't shown but it has the same feet as the right hand rose bowl with the pattern of the left hand bowl. There's matching cress set on page 12 as well.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand