No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Quality Clear Decanter. (ID Help Please)  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Gilead

• Members
Quality Clear Decanter. (ID Help Please)
« on: April 23, 2008, 01:20:41 PM »
Good Afternoon.
                      This is very most likely my last post for a bit as am moving, i would appreciate any help in the ID of this quality clear decanter i bought today the pontil is polished and finished well, the stopper fits perfect and has a oval diamond shape bubble in side, the decanter stand s10ins high with the stopper in with out it stands 8ins.

I have a feeling it maybe a well known make but am not 100% so if one of the more experienced members could cast an eye over and give me there opinion that would be nice many thanks.
                                                             Steve.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Quality Clear Decanter. (ID Help Please)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 01:38:30 PM »
I may very well be wrong, but my first impression is modern Polish, or thereabouts. There are some terribly nice and fairly well-made drinkware designs coming from there of late. But the grinding of the inside of the neck where the stopper sits seems a little too heavy-handed for any glasswork of note.

Saying that, this is just a guess based on similar pieces pottering about TK Maxx...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 02:23:44 PM »
i agree entirely.

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 03:58:21 PM »
Cheers
         Nic & ivo shot down with what i thought it might have been then  :-[
                                                                                                       Steve

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 04:17:30 PM »
I do recommend spending time ambling about stores like TK Maxx, John Lewis, Debenhams, etc... you'll eventually start to spot the indicators for modern and inexpensively-produced glassware. I've at least three boxes crammed with pleasant-but-nondescript glass I bought whilst I was finding my footing in the field.  ;D

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 04:10:12 PM »
Hi Nic
         Think i can beat that i must have 15 boxes by now  ;D but hey i have enjoyed going out and searching so onward and upwards forever hoping to find a great and nice piece,
                                                    Steve

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 06:22:49 PM »
We were all worried about you for overstocking on mediocre stuff but it seems you're through the worst bit and are actually getting an eye for the nicer items.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 08:35:58 PM »
i must have 15 boxes by now 

That's going to turn into a blow-out of a carboot sale when you finally run out of room.  :o

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 08:40:40 PM »
Cheers Ivo,
                I am slowly finding my level and it,s all thanks to people like your self and other members of this good and exciting site i will take this chance to say tat tar for now as i am switching off now to pack my PC up, final bits and bobs to move, so it may be a couple of weeks before i post or pick all your brains (well pester you again).

All the best to every one and good luck with all you do and find.
                                                                                    Cheers
                                                                                    Steve

PS You are spot on there Nic  ;D will stand me in good stead i think though thanks take care.

Offline skegby73

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 06:47:34 PM »

It looks a lot like a Dartington (Frank Thrower) FT188 "Director's Decanter" but can't be certain.

Mark Hill's Dartington book says such decanters are 26cm or 10.25 inches tall and produced from 1976-1991.

Regards,
Chris.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand