No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Purple Riihimaki with an amber base?  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Deb of Oz

• Members
Purple Riihimaki with an amber base?
« on: April 27, 2008, 03:56:40 AM »
Hello Glassies

Does anyone know how a purple vase STB Riihimaki would have a clear yellow tinged base instead of a colourless clear one please?

Looks a bit odd - damaged? sun? other maker?

thanks
Deb

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Purple Riihimaki with an amber base?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 11:53:29 AM »
Can we see the whole of the vase and the base please

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 04:03:47 PM »
Hi Deb,
Perhaps because it may not be Riihimaki. I know some geometric shaped Aseda Glasbruk vases from the 1960's had coloured bases of at least green, blue and amber. I actually own one myself with an amber base. There are also some displayed on page 26 of that fine publication by Leslie Pina, Scandinavian Glass 1930 - 2000, Fire & Sea. If you can show a complete photo of your vase I may be able to confirm.
Hope this helps,
Bryn

Offline Deb of Oz

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 09:51:37 AM »
I think you are right about it being Aseda.

Here is the whole thing:

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 01:33:04 PM »
Hi,
Ah! the plot thickens :huh:. The vase shape is of one made by Riihimain Lasi ( 10") which apparently appeared in their 1976 Finland export catalogue. But, I cannot find any Riihimaen with the pale amber base or indeed any coloured base other than clear. The Fire & Sea book shows Aseda Glasbruk Sweden pieces which are very, very similar in shape but not identical, the central pattern being rounder in shape. However they do have a number displayed with coloured bases. Perhaps someone has the same vase with a sticker which would confirm one way or the other.

Bryn

Offline robert1960

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 09:39:39 PM »
It's certainly is the Riihimaki shape, and unlike any Aseda Bo Borgstrom shape I have seen..

Here's a pic of my green one, and a blue one I used to have :

Robert x

Offline Deb of Oz

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 08:28:11 AM »
Robert -- Thank you very much for going to so much trouble. I'll keep an eye on those bases and see if any others turn up.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 05:50:29 PM »
Could it simply be that the batch of clear glass got contaminated? Maybe one of the glassmakers on the board could comment, but I do occasionally find glasses that should be clear having a distinct yellow taint.

Just a thought....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand