No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Sowerby plinth story with a twist in the tale!  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
A Sowerby plinth story with a twist in the tale!
« on: April 29, 2008, 08:31:31 AM »
I seem to have had a Sowerby blue 2505 Iris posy plus holder for rather too many years now, waiting for a plinth.   So you can imagine my pleasure when the plinth came up on e**y, the auction site that we all love to hate.   Eventually, after paying rather more than I had planned, it arrived.   Eventually I found the posy, in the bottom box in the far corner.   So I unpacked the plinth.

So I had it all together, like this, to put together like this.   The plinth was numbered 2530.

So I assembled the set.

DISASTER !*?!

It didn't fit!

The reality is this.

Thinking about it, the plinth pattern number of 2530 was too low.   I'm sure that the correct plinth has a number closer to 2600.  Also the shape of the fitting is wrong.   This 2530 plinth has an unforgiving upright fitting, whereas the correct plinth for the 2505 posy has a more gently curved fitting, and measures 2Β½" instead of the 2530's 2ΒΌ".

I'm sure that this is the first 2530 I've seen.   Does anyone know what it fits?   ... and what is the correct pattern number of the 2505 posy plinth?

So, both into the box for another wait, hopefully for not so long.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Re: A Sowerby plinth story with a twist in the tale!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 07:15:11 PM »
oh drat Bernard! 

but you know how you love a mystery.... ;D
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 04:58:17 AM »
Hi Bernard
Can I add another plinth number 2506 I have always thought it to be Sowerby have you seen this one what would stand on it.

Tony H in NZ

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 08:24:31 AM »
Tony β€” "this one" is a tad optimistic.   There were at least 4 variants (at least two slightly different profiles, large serifed font / small mean font / un-numbered).   It was designed for the 2505S Iris/Lily/Celery, which came in four sizes L/S/Posy/name not traced, possibly toothpick, it would have been supplied with any Sowerby product that needed a 3 3/8" fitting plinth, such as 2583 and 2602.

... and thanks for making me look it up.   I've just found reference to the 2536 plinth with a 2 3/8" fitting, apparently still too tight for my 2505 Posy.   I wonder what that was for?    Or could it be that my 2505 Posy has an unusually large base?

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Tony H

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 09:47:45 AM »
Bernard
Some interesting info I have another one for you 2528 I know what it is for I missed one a few months back.

Tony H in NZ

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 10:07:03 AM »
Tony β€” I guess that it's the shaped plinth for the 2525 frogs/bulrushes vase/bowl.   Another desirable rarity is the reversed plinth for the 2602 Rose Bowl, where the three feet fit over a raised central area.    It's a good day when I manage to buy either.

The best day ever was when I noticed a house with every window ledge crammed with plinths being used as flowerpot saucers.   The owner was delighted when I replaced them all with nice new plastic ones, free of charge, as some years before he had cut himself badly on one that broke while he was washing them.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Tony H

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 07:39:25 PM »
Bernard
Spot on, this is the first one I have had all I need is the bowl, I missed one a few months back it was in a local shop but when I returned later it was gone, he who hesitates!!!. I have not seen the other one for the 2602 Rose Bowl.

I have some other plinths but the bowl/vase are hard to find a Davidson 24M.

I have a 24 with the bowl in Orange cloud glass in my collection.

A 321 in Amber Cloud Glass, Chris has my photo of this one on his web site.

How are the Glass Fairs in UK?

Tony H in NZ

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 03:51:35 AM »
Quote from: Tony H
... this is the first one I have had all I need is the bowl ...

Tony β€” It's wasted on the "T"ed (turned over rim) bowl (Sowerbyspeak for Davidson's "D"), much more impressive on the flared bowl or, even better, either version of the vase, which doesn't look too good on the round plinth, 2490?   One problem with 2525s is that sometimes they just don't fit the 2528, so you have to use the round plinth as per the illustration in Cottle.

Quote from: Tony H
... How are the Glass Fairs in UK? ...

Slow.   Very much a buyer's market at present.   I presume it's much the same over there.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 03:12:47 AM »
Quote from: Bernard C
...   I've just found reference to the 2536 plinth with a 2 3/8" fitting, apparently still too tight for my 2505 Posy.   I wonder what that was for?    Or could it be that my 2505 Posy has an unusually large base?   ...

Lynne & Tony β€” Problem partly solved.   2536 was the usual plinth for the 2505 Posy;  the 2505 in question and pictured at the start of this topic has an unusually large base, always likely to have been an occasional problem when formers were used for reshaping.   In fact 2530 may have been the first attempt at a plinth for the 2505 Posy, made to fit the 2505 Posy as it came out of the mould, celery-shaped, and quickly abandoned when the reality of spreading bases on the Iris and Lily versions was realised.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Tony H

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 07:15:09 AM »
Hi Bernard
Got your message, I was hopefull it was a new stamp collector!!.

Sowerby 2528 here is a photo for you, this may be of more help to you than my discription.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand