No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wobbly Ysart paperweight ID - help please Kev H!  (Read 15962 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Wobbly Ysart paperweight ID - help please Kev H!
« on: April 30, 2008, 07:18:29 PM »
I found this paperweight for sale, and wondered whether it was Paul Ysart or not. I love the description 'wobbly', though I am not sure what it refers to.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Wobbly Ysart paperweight ID - help please Kev H!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 07:45:46 PM »
A lot of these badge weights have a very rough and proud pontil scar and no relation to Paul Ysart, Kevin recently discussed these in another thread here...
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,20728.0.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 11:44:07 PM »
I have great difficulty in deciding anything about many of these badge weights. Base finishes with a proud / wobbly pontil area seem to be quite common. In the past, I would have said these were not by Paul Ysart simply because of the way the base was finished. My feeling is that "wobbly" pontil lumps were more common on "German" gift-type weights - since I have seen similar finishes on large weights that have been said to be "German" (or late "Bohemian").

But I am now not so sure of that any more. Or of anything when it comes to badge weights ::)

It would be great if somebody could provide definite information on the charateristics of these weights by other known makers.
KevinH

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 12:04:13 AM »
Are there samples of known PY badge weights? Ones that we can be pretty sure of the attribution?

I keep hoping to find one with a cane or even parts of a cane that can be said to be scottish - time will tell I guess  :)

Maybe the color schemes may indicate a country of origin - I see pedestaled weights sold from Belgium from time
to time on ebay that appear to use a pastel/pink/white scheme - some with decorations to indicate a
french speaking origin.  Can't find any right now tho.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 12:48:04 AM »
Are there samples of known PY badge weights?
I don't know of any that can be 100%, beyond any doubt, attributed to Paul Ysart! Can anyone reading this (a dealer, perhaps) confirm otherwise?

However, I have a stemmed and footed version and the shape of the foot and stem does look quite like that on a confirmed Paul Ysart weight that I have seen in literature somewhere. Can't think where that is though, right now. But similar stems and feet, without particular features, may appear on items from various makers.
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 09:22:40 AM »
Did anyone ask Paul Ysart about these? No mention in Alison's article which was primarily based on interviews. Is Simmond's the first mention in print, has anyone asked him his source?

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 01:15:23 PM »
This stemmed and footed weight with a sulphide of St Hubert is virtually certainly Belgian.  The description of the two pontil marks sounds just like the similar badge weight that are sometimes attributed to Paul Ysart, but I guess the manufacturing process is standard.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 05:12:27 PM »
I have a letter from Colin Terris in which he told me Paul Ysart confirmed he made these badge weights and sold them all out of the back door at Moncrieff's Glassworks. Colin also recalls that servicemen would take a badge to Paul and few a few pennies he would put it in a weight.
I personally have never seen any evidence that badge weights, containing badges from British Regiments, were made by anyone other that Paul. Can we sometimes be too clevere ?
Dave

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 01:40:43 PM »
The knowledge of the paperweight collectors on here is very impressive :clap:
But saying about being too clever, i would think 'wobbly' in this instance, just means it
doesnt sit flat on the table and wobbles a bit ;)

regards
Andy 8)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 07:18:39 PM »
I agree with ALexander that it would be great to find a signed badge weight or even one with canes in that could be identified and attributed to an artist but I have never seen one.
The closest I can get is a Vasart weight I have containing a brass badge of the Arms of Perth set on a pale blue base with canes running round the perimeter
Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand