No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Riihimaki Vase? - unsigned - please help with ID  (Read 7991 times)

Offline robert1960

• Members
Re: Riihimaki Vase? - unsigned - please help with ID
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 10:18:26 AM »
Flyingfree
Do you have pictures of the other ones you own with fire polished rims ?

I only own three, as far as I can see.. one is the largest Aurinkopullo, the others a Pagoda and a Tornado. 

I believe the Rulla also has a firepolished rim, but unfortunately I don't own one :(

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK

Offline robert1960

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 10:48:14 AM »
Hi
Surely they're ground tops?

I thought a  fire polished top is very rounded, much more 'organic' ?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 11:20:25 AM »
I'm sure you are right and my experience and knowledge is very limited so I
 am probably confused!

I do have Scandinavian vases where I am certain they have a ground and polished rim (one being an Alvar Aalto savoy vase for example and another example being the one I first posted in this link) and then I have some Aseda vases and these two that I assumed were fire polished because of what they look like.  But looking again perhaps I have thought that because they are so much thinner walled than the others and so they don't 'look' ground flat and polished to me  I'll take some comparison pics later and post them so I can understand better - my apologies if I have confused anyone :-[

m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 11:28:23 AM »
I have one of those in your picture of three shelves of green vases, bottom shelf sixth from right. That has a rim that I would say has been ground and then fire polished. It is flat but has no edges.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2010, 12:10:18 PM »
This is the only Riihimaki vase I have had out of around fifty or so which had a fire polished rim: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,33243.msg181155.html#msg181155

The others all had rims which were ground flat and polished, this one had a rim that was semicircular in cross section and was obviously different from the rest.

John

Offline robert1960

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2010, 12:27:40 PM »
Yes, the Solmuke, and in fact a fair few that possess a name rather than a number, are more likely to have fire worked rims, along with the ringed base ?

(but like the Whitefriars pontil, this doesn't appear on everything by any means)

The 'export' vases, as lovely as they are, were fairly low-cost pieces and I shouldn't have thought warranted such a treatment, cost-wise ?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2010, 01:31:29 PM »
This is how I understood fire polished to be?

see here where there is also an example of a ground and polished rim.

http://www.blenkoarchive.org/blenko_characteristics.htm

On this basis I am pretty certain that both my other Riihimaen Lasi Oy vases have a fire polished rim  :-\

Would I be right in thinking that cold working the rim by grinding and then polishing would be more intensive and expensive than fire polishing it? 

m

Offline robert1960

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2010, 01:36:17 PM »
I'm really not sure!

I always assumed furnace work was more skilled, and therefore more expensive, than machine work ?
I'm confused now  :-\

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2010, 02:47:03 PM »
It's not furnace work. All it requires is a very hot gas flame. At Dartington Glass, they have a rotating gas-fired machine into which they pop the glasses after a preliminary grind to level the rims and that fire polishes the rims.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand