No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help ID the pattern on the Hawkes brilliant cut glass bowl  (Read 9792 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Any help please on the pattern of this Hawkes brilliant cut glass bowl, the cutting looks to be of exceptional quality, I have a couple of books on brilliant cut glass but still find it very hard to match patterns, it very similar to another bowl I have called Lorraine but not a 100% match, the bowl is cut on a very thick 0.5" blank, it measures 9.5" in diameter, and 3.5" tall and weighs over 2.4 kg or 5.5 lbs

thanks Roy

Offline Andy

• Members
Re: Help ID the pattern on the Hawkes brilliant cut glass bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 03:29:20 PM »
Roy,
had my Hajdamach book open most of the day, very similar bowl on page361,
'Brilliant cut dish with characteristic pin wheel motif of American cut glass of the period, Possibly libbey & Co c1900.

Not quite the same, and yours looks a lot more intricate cutting :D
Cheers
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 03:52:59 PM »
Andy

I forgot to say this item is Hawkes as it is signed in the center of the bowl which would date it to around 1903 -10 or there about, the 2 books I have are Identifying American Brilliant Cut Glass by Bill and Louise Boggess and The American Cut Glass Industry T.G Hawkes and his Competitors, but it still does not make it easy to ID exact patterns

roy

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 06:47:35 PM »
Which mark does it have?  And where did you read about it being used only 1903-1910?  I didn't know there was one that was restricted to then.

Would it be possible to post a photo of your Lorraine?  I haven't looked at all my books yet, but that does seem pretty similar.  Sometimes designs are tweaked a bit.  Hard to say, the images in the books are so tiny sometimes, and yours is very highly cut.  Nice piece!!!
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 09:34:31 PM »
Kristi

The mark is shown in the above picture which has the word HAWKES under the trefoil which was used from about 1902 or 03, found in the book 'The American Cut Glass Industry T.G Hawkes and his competitors' the book does not say up to what year the mark was used and I think what I was trying to say more was I thought the bowl would date to between those years
The bowl has now been very kindly ID as Lorraine pattern by Warren Biden of the House of Brilliant Glass who as you also said patterns were slightly adapted to fit different size bowls and shapes
I would also say my other half and myself just love this Brilliant cut glass , and since finding my 1st piece about 2 years which also seems to be a Hawkes bowl in Lorraine pattern have now collected about 15 pieces all from around the London area , cannot be certain that all are American as there seems to be other European makers who did make similar items, but this piece was the piece I been looking for as its my 1st with an acid etched mark other than an exceptional Canadian Jug by Gowan and Kent and a rose bowl,

Roy

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 09:51:06 PM »
Hartmann gives 3 examples of that mark with two variants including Gravic above. Without Gravic he dates its use as 1895-1962. The Gravic ones from 1902-1962 and 4 versions without Hawkes below.

All but one of those marks he backs up with up to 3 references to literature.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 11:06:13 PM »
That's great to know that I was right!  I found another example after writing you and was pretty certain that's what it was.  Identifying rich cut glass is not something I attempt very often - not until lately, anyway, so it feels like an accomplishment.

Sorry, I didn't see the mark photo.  It confused me when you said '03-'10, but now I understand what you meant.

I'd like to see some of your other cut glass.  As you say, there was/is a lot of it being made in Eastern Europe, but often it can be fairly easy to distinguish between that and American items, which generally are much more desirable (if you equate desirable with how much people are willing to pay for it).

That really is an amazing piece, and it's also pretty amazing that you have another piece in the same pattern.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline KarenR

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 02:19:43 AM »
Hi, Roy!  Your Lorraine bowl is a stunning example of American Brilliant Period cut glass.  I'll bet Warren Biden knew that pattern on sight.  His glass is pictured in quite a few of my reference books and he is known as one of the best photographers of American Brilliant Period cut glass. 

I second Kristi's request to see what other cut glass pieces you have. 

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 08:58:59 AM »
Hi Kristi and KarenR

Thanks for showing interest in my ABP glass, some pictures of my better pieces including my other unmarked Lorraine pattern bowl and a Hawkes unmarked 2 piece Punch bowl in the Raleigh pattern which was ID by Greg Randall, I have also included a picture of what I thick is an exceptional piece of Canadian cut glass a large Jug made by Gowans ,Kent and Company which is acid etched signed on the base, I be interested on any comments about this piece, as I read that some collectors did not rate the Canadian glass that highly, with some of my lesser items I think it may be best to start a new topic

Roy

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 11:12:50 PM »
I have now also had this bowl which I had been told was a Hawkes Lorriane pattern now been correctly ID very kindly by Warren Biden as being cut by the Niagara cut glass Co of Buffalo - NY in a pattern called Buffalo

Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand