No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need Help with this lovely antique Paperweight  (Read 12400 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Need Help with this lovely antique Paperweight
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2005, 12:52:18 PM »
Hi Nadine,

Leni suggested that I might drop by and say, "It's obviously a <whatever>". Thanks for the confidence vote, Leni, but I'm just as unsure as everyone else. I have emailed somebody who may know. More news soon perhaps.

In the meantime, I agree that the base is unusual and this makes the Id process a bit more difficult because if it were one of the "big three" French (Clichy, St Louis or Baccarat), we'd expect regular base features. I also agree that the weight is in its original shape because the wear to the surface is consistent with many, many years of handling.

If it had been repolished at some time, this would not normally have affected the base as the underside would not be cleaned up, unless there was severe damge to the lowest edge. But this does not seem to fit with the shape of the remaining well-polished central area.

Just for the record, my original thoughts were:
1) Bohemian
2) Well, maybe St Louis
3) I wonder if the white and blue canes could be St Mande
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2005, 05:15:24 PM »
Quote from: "KevH"
Just for the record, my original thoughts were:
1) Bohemian
2) Well, maybe St Louis
3) I wonder if the white and blue canes could be St Mande

:shock:  :shock:  :shock: I'm so proud!  :shock:  :oops:  :roll:  

I don't care *what* it turns out to be now! (Not true, I do care really  :wink: )  I am just so pleased with myself because my thoughts were the same as the great 'KevH'  :shock:  :oops: :roll:  :lol:  

Seriously, I do wonder *very much* about the possibility of St Mande, now Kevin has mentioned it  :?

I just haven't seen enough examples, and the colours are still confusing me, but there is *something* similar to my little weight which Sibylle Jargstorf (and several PCC members) identified as St Mande.  It's something about the quality of glass  :?  And, apart from the strange base, the profile looks similar - as is the position of the motif, if it definitely hasn't been re-ground!  If I could just hold it .....   :shock:

Hopefully we'll have an answer soon - or at least, someone else's views!  :lol:  :roll:    

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Nadine

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2005, 10:04:47 PM »
Sorry for getting back so late, but my 2 childs got high temperature the last 2 days…

Hi KevH,
Thanks for your answer and also many thanks for your affords to email someone who might know more of my new paperweight.

Leni,
Thanks for your post, too. I didn´t know that it can be a problem for some users, when I send big pictures, I´ll try to post smaller images in the future.

Hmm, St. Mande ? Probably KevH will be right.
My Friend Ronny was at the PCC-Meeting in Cambridge, when Sibylle Jargstorf was the speaker, and he also took a look at your St. Mande Paperweight. He says, that your one was smaller, but somewhat on my weight also reminds him on your one.

At the Moment it seems it probably will be a early St.Louis or a St. Mande with an unknown Base.  Today I´ve seen two other Bohemian pieces, but they look similar to the one I´ve posted above.

Yes, its really fun to get the maker of this weight.
If Ronny will went to the PCC-Meeting in September, I´ll give him the weight, so you can hold it in your hands :D

Many greetings from the cold and rainy germany.

Nadine

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2005, 08:20:02 AM »
Quote from: "Nadine"
My Friend Ronny was at the PCC-Meeting in Cambridge, when Sibylle Jargstorf was the speaker, and he also took a look at your St. Mande Paperweight. He says, that your one was smaller, but somewhat on my weight also reminds him on your one.

Aha!  :D  
If Ronny will went to the PCC-Meeting in September, I´ll give him the weight, so you can hold it in your hands :D

Nadine, that would be fantastic!  Thank you very much!  I do hope Ronny will be able to come to the meeting!  

I think we will all benefit from seeing this weight, as it must help to broaden our knowledge of the rarer examples  :shock:  :D  

BTW, I hope your children are now recovering from their illnesses.

Leni
Leni

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2005, 10:32:54 PM »
Hi everyone,

This weight has not been forgotten. One of the PCC folk who knows a lot  more about antique weights than I do has said it's not St Louis but may be St Mande, although more thought and investigation is needed.

I have asked a few more of the PCC people for their thoughts.
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2005, 11:36:22 AM »
Hi folks,

Having had a variety of comments so far, from a variety of collectors, there seem to be two definite conclusions - 1. It's not a Clichy weight, 2. Nobody is 100% certain of what this one really is.

Amongst those offering views was Marek Kordasiewicz, author of the book, Sklane Przyciski Do Papieru ... (Glass Paperweights, The Heritage of The 19th Century Riesengebirge and Isegebirge Glassworks).

Marek says that we should not pay too much attention to general shapes and profiles when considering "Bohemian / Silesian" weights. He has seen almost all profiles in these.

Also, he has seen only a few weights like Nadine's (through eBay, sold from India!) but has found none at all in Poland, and therefore thinks they may have been export pieces. However, he does have a "classic period" (19th century) Silesian weight that has a simiar base, with "a very deep concavity". And he comments that some of the canes are similar to ones he excavated in the Carlsthal glassworks area.

Without checking technical details such as Spefic Gravity and UV reaction, a truly positive Id cannot be given, but on balance, Marek's opinion is "Bohemian or Silesian origin".

When I checked Marek's book for cane types, I could not find any exact matches but it was clear that there were many Bohemian / Silesian canes formed with a single cane surrounded by multiple individual canes. It was that style of cane, and the overall layout that made me first think of Bohemian. But without a positive cane match (and preferably more than one), I think it would be useful to look around for other weights like the mystery piece.

If this weight could be seen at the next PCC meeting, I will happily check it under UV.
KevinH

Nadine

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2005, 10:41:34 PM »
Thanks Kevin for all of your Informations.

I´ve just spoken with Ronny, he will book his Flight this week and bring  the weight  to the PCC-Meeting in Cambridge (17.09.05).

Thank you very much for your help to identify this little treasure :D

Btw:
Whats the best way from Stansted to Cambridge without a car ?

Many greetings to all!

Nadine

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2005, 05:14:42 PM »
Quote from: "Nadine"
I´ve just spoken with Ronny, he will book his Flight this week and bring  the weight  to the PCC-Meeting in Cambridge (17.09.05).

That's great, Nadine!  I can't wait to see this weight!  :D

As for Stanstead to Cambridge - I believe there is a train which goes from the airport to Cambridge.

Leni
Leni

Nadine

St. Mande ???
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2005, 09:34:01 PM »
Hello everybody :-D

Ronny´s flight is booked and he will come by car to the meeting.

I was with him today evening and we where looking thrue some new Books (The Dictionary of Paperweight Signature Canes by Andrew H. Dohan & Marek Kordasiewicz´s Book) and some old Newsletters from the PCC.

In the Newsletter No.79 – August 2002 there´s an Article from Philippe Frerre about St. Mande Paperweights.
The First Paperweight of Fig 5, and the middle Paperweight of Fig.7 make me think, that they are very similar to my weight.
Probably some of you also have this Issue from the Newsletter, and tell me if I will be right.

Hope you all have a very nice weekend.

Many greetings

Nadine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand