No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Plinth profiles - names or short descriptions for the curves  (Read 980 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
There are three regular curves forming the sloping side profiles of many English pressed glass plinths.    These are (with examples):-

• 1.  Curved hills with sharpish valleys between, like the Marlborough Downs (Sowerby 2536 type I, illustrated in Bowey & Parsons).
  • 2.  A smooth serpentine shape (Sowerby 2536 type II).
  • 3.  Curved valleys with sharpish ridges between, like the glacial valleys of the English Lake District (medium Bagley Queen's Choice plinth, illustrated in Bowey & Parsons).

• There must be a more succinct way of describing these shapes.   Any ideas?

Bernard C.  8)

NB 1. "Scalloped" should mean curve type 2 if mirroring the edge shape of a real scallop shell, but I think the term could encompass all three curves, so it may not be useful.

NB 2. My "First Paperback Edition" of Bagley Glass by Bowey & Parsons, dated 2004, has the photographs at the top of page 25 and in the middle of page 21 respectively.   Note that a later edition may have different page numbering.
    Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand