No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Acid mark - ID = Theresienthal  (Read 8462 times)

Offline redheat4

• Members
    • redheat4glass.co.uk
Acid mark - ID = Theresienthal
« on: May 07, 2008, 07:39:23 PM »
Hi I am sure someone knows this mark on a little tumbler/vase.

Offline redheat4

• Members
    • redheat4glass.co.uk
Re: Acid mark ID
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 07:42:57 PM »
Sorry I always forget to turn them right way up before posting

Offline Theresienthaler

• Author
  • Members
    • Roemer aus Theresienthal
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:28:13 AM »
Hi,

this mark (not an acid but a sandblast-mark) ist the mark of the Glassworks of Theresienthal in the shape used before 2004.
This mark was in use since around 1970/1980 and is now with a little difference (with a little "H" in it`s middle) (still) in use.

Regards

Stephan
http://www.roemer-aus-theresienthal.de
Kind regards

Stephan

Offline redheat4

• Members
    • redheat4glass.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 02:53:51 PM »
Thanks Stephan.

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: Acid mark - ID = Theresienthal
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 07:36:48 PM »
They sandblast it?  Why would they do that?  Wouldn't that require covering the whole outside in resist?  I don't know much about the process - can they aim a fine stream at a certain area?  I suppose so.  Huh!  Never heard of a sandblasted mark.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 07:43:43 PM »
Sandblasting can be very fine and directional and it's cheaper and probably safer than acid

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 11:50:12 PM »
Sandblasting is the most widely used method of marking since the 1970's. Health and safety as well as cost come into play. It is usually done with a stencil. It is easy to recognise with a glass as there are small pits as opposed to acid etched which is smoother.

Here is some glassware engraved in 1985 by sandblasting LINK all of Burns Crystal etched designs are sand blasted.
Sandblasting on glass was a US invention, see transfer printing forum - Sand-blasting 1870. (USA - Benjamin Chew Tilghman)

It is slowly being replaced by inkjet printing which is extremely fast and allows extremely fine detail as well as full colour and chemical bonding to the glass by UV exposure. A lot cheaper too.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 02:31:49 AM »
Thanks Frank and Christine.  Makes sense for health reasons.  I didn't know it could be so directional, so you wouldn't have to cover the whole piece, but that makes sense, too.

I notice Burns calls it "engraving."  That annoys me.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand