No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: cracked Ysart  (Read 2520 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
cracked Ysart
« on: May 08, 2008, 06:10:53 AM »
Do any of our glass maker colleagues (esp. Scottish ones) know why Ysart weights are relatively prone to cracking ( example)?  Was it a poor annealing process, or incompatible coloured glass, or what? I see a higher proportion of cracked weights from Ysart than any other maker.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: cracked Ysart
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 08:10:54 AM »
Annealing of Monart was not particularly good. This was probably because the Ysart's used and made their own batch, and imported colours - the glass technologists at Moncrieff were not privy to the recipe and in any case did not  deal with coloured clear/mixes. . Salvador considered paperweights a waste of time so would have not taken any interest. Paul took a personal interest in technology and would have worked to resolve that once Salvador was out the way and he had control over the process.

Vasart's annealling lehr made from corrugated iron and a milk crate conveyor, was accidentally better which is why annealling cracks do not show up in Vasart.

So a crack could be a useful dating tool >:D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 01:05:26 PM »
An earlier thread on the subject is here.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 01:08:06 PM »
Thanks both - that is helpful.

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 07:23:52 AM »

Here's another one! This time it looks like a translucent orange ground.

Alan

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 04:47:07 PM »
Franks said, with use of  >:D and  ;D,
... which is why annealling cracks do not show up in Vasart. ... So a crack could be a useful dating tool.

I have conisidered that point, too - as a serious piece in the "as-yet-unfinishable-jigsaw" of weights possibly made by Salvador. I have an example of an Ysart weight that seems to be early Vasart, with a crack right through the centre, top to bottom and with no blemishes on the surface, so unlikely to have been caused solely by knocks and bumps.

Maybe pre-war annealing problems could be a factor in showing my weight to be earlier than I currently think. And if so, other clues, such as the canes and finishing, might help to push other weights back into the 30s rather than "early Vasart".

On the other hand, perhaps it is only in the last decade that any general Vasart weights (as opposed to really unusual ones) have been seen as something that can generate some reasle profit? Maybe before that, many cracked Vasart weights were known but just binned because they had absolutely no resale value and very little academic interest to save them as discussion and reasearch items?

I'm still thinking about this sort of thing on occasion!
KevinH

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 06:07:13 PM »
here's my cracked ysart, the cracks seem to appear from the pontil mark,  on this one it has been hand chipped away, now then, if they were to hand chip the pontil away and if they leave small cracks surely over time the cracks will get bigger until they meet due to different temps, i know when i got this one i marked a crack with a felt pen, and now the crack is about 4-6mm longer , so one day it just might drop apart

click image

[Mod: Aug 2011. Photobucket links point to real photos but not to ones we would expect! Therefore, all have been deleted.]
cheers Ray

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 09:50:16 PM »
I think "annealing crack" is a misnomer. Cracks such as these can be caused by a number of reasons. The most likely is that the colours used are incompatible and have different co-efficients of expansion. In such a case no amount of annealing is going to make any difference. Other reasons can be that the annealing cycle has not been controlled properly, ie the glass has been cooled down too quickly. Alternatively the glass may have been too cold before it was put in the lehr and if this was the case, no amount of annealing would make any difference. If the piece is put in at the correct temperature and then the door of the lehr is left open for too long putting in the next few pieces, aand particularly if there is a draught, then this can chill the outside of the weight sufficiently to crack it. If you open a lehr door and move a piece with a glove or even touch it when you are putting another piece in, this is all it takes to cause a crack. I could go on and on! There are several other possibilities.

I think "stress crack" is a much better term, as the type of crack in Ray's image shows that it has not been annealed properly and there is still stress in the glass.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 12:37:16 AM »
aa: good explanation. I have had instances that I made a run of thre same piece in a day's production but may have couple that show the type crack you are referring to. Many times the surface tension of a paperweight will keep the inside elements in compression and even though the coeffecients of expansionn may be considerably different, the piece will not crack. The viscosity of the different glasses has a great bearing on this as well.
I have also found that some colors of glass will shift to a different COE everytime you go into the glory hole and reheat it. This can cause a lot of problems if you're not used to using that particular color.
The more lead content that some of the colors had also allowed for the mixing of some colors that is not possible today.
I would be interested in knowing what type of control they used on their annealers prior to WWII and how long they annealed items.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 08:04:11 AM »
They had a tunnel lehr, see layout diagram halfway down http://www.ysartglass.com/Ysart/Monartglass.htm There is no-one left alive that could answer more about it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand