No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mysterious Vaseline Figurine  (Read 7156 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Mysterious Vaseline Figurine
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 06:39:24 PM »
Ivo - the Derbyshire Lion has a ribbed base. The Britoria figure's plinth doesn't have any ribbing.

Connie - the milk glass Lion you posted is the twin to our vaseline Lion with the Union flag. It's not the Derbyshire Lion - there is no Union flag on the Derbyshire Lions, The Union flag lion has not yet been found with any trademark (to the best of my knowledge).

The base on Britoria has a slight similarity to the milk glass/vaseline/Union flag Lion regarding the buttons (raised blobs for want of a better description!) around the top of the plinth. But Britoria lacks the ribbing below and instead has more blobs.

Tis a mystery.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2005, 07:43:47 AM »
Good enough for me to attribute Britoria to Derbyshire!  :shock:

What do you think, MrVaselineGlass?

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2005, 08:28:49 AM »
Steve had spotted the Britannia on eBay a day or two ago...and noted the "damage"  :roll:  Such a shame.

I wish I could draw a firm conclusion that Britoria is Derbyshire...but I still can't.  :cry:

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2005, 01:20:28 PM »
I can't draw any "attribution" either.  The figure that is currently on ebay has the derbyshire marking.  IF the mystery piece was also derbyshire, there would be a very good chance that it would also be marked with the JD or Anchor symbol.  My thoughts go to one of derbyshire's competitors trying to carve up some of the market share.  Like any business, they were all competitive, trying to survive, and if one company was successful with an idea, others would try something similar.   20 years ago, most of us did not know what the initials SUV mean.  now, every car company has some version.  It was the same in the glass world.  

The one thing I think we can conclude from this figurine is that it was NOT made by Derbyshire, as there is already a different version that is marked.

Dave

Anonymous

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2005, 11:54:36 AM »
Leni,

the Statue of Queen victoria outside the Quenn Victoria Building in Sydney is much more intimidating (as required to keep us Colonials in our place :wink: )

I have a pic of it in a book, but you might be able to find one on their website:

www.qvb.com.au

Cheers,

Rob

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2005, 03:46:25 PM »
:D Hello, We've got a statue of Queen Victoria in Dundee, in a seated position. Even though she frequently wears a traffic cone on her head, she still manages to look imposing. I don't think either Queen Vic. or Brittania slouched in the relaxed manner of the piece in question!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand