No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber posy bowl with frog - on plinth.  (Read 5391 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Amber posy bowl with frog - on plinth.
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 08:07:28 PM »
I remember (to my eternal embarrassment and chagrin) when we first started to collect glass, we actually turned down a black plinth from a seller at a summer fete. The glass bowl was all we wanted (it was very cheap) and we said "thanks but no thanks" to the plinth.

Fortunately we stopped doing that very quickly. Have collected all we have seen since  :lol:

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 08:28:36 PM »
Quote from: "Glen"
I remember (to my eternal embarrassment and chagrin) when we first started to collect glass, we actually turned down a black plinth from a seller at a summer fete. The glass bowl was all we wanted (it was very cheap) and we said "thanks but no thanks" to the plinth.

Glen

OUCH!!!  :roll:  That must have hurt when you kicked yourselves after the event! :cry:

Gareth, you bring up a good point about them being used as ashtrays by some people.  Since my major source of glass is from car boots :oops:  :oops:  :oops: ,  I don't give ashtrays a second glance - unless they are of the gloopy Murano type, which can double up as small bowls.  If sellers don't actually know that they are plinths, then they are more likely to assume that they are in fact ashtrays and to display them as such.  I've just started collecting piano rests, and it appears that most of the sellers I have bought from, have just thought that they are not very exciting paperweights.  Which means I get them cheaper :twisted:

I will certainly be looking out for more plinths tomorrow morning!!! and will be rooting around in boxes where most car boot sellers seem to put their "ashtrays". :wink:

Regards - Anne E.B.
Anne E.B

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 08:42:34 PM »
Quote from: "Adam"

Anne - You have made me notice that I don't seem to see very many around either.  Considering the tens of thousands made at Sowerbys, Davidsons et al this is a bit surprising.  They are not easily broken.  I can only assume that when the article which they originally supported bites the dust the plinth too is scrapped.

Adam D.

Adam I can quite believe that they are not easily broken!  The plinth glass reminds me of a Bagley Jetique posy bowl that I bought when I first started collecting.  I mistakenly thought it was ceramic at first and found it hard to believe it was actually glass :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline Hotglass

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2005, 03:36:31 PM »
Judging by photo -  a very good amber. Clear, rich and warm.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand