No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Walther vase?  (Read 5327 times)

Anonymous

Is this a Walther vase?
« on: August 07, 2005, 01:43:07 AM »
Can anyone tell me if this is a Walther vase? or is it Bohemian?

It has picture of Greek Warriors on the side...definitely not Moser..

thank you!

Liz

Mod: Pics gone, thread retained for info re Walther & Moser

Anonymous

Is this a Walther vase?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 05:03:39 AM »
Hi Liz

If you're sure its not Moser then yes it is most probably Walther... I'll see if I can find the model name later

Regards

Gareth

Anonymous

Is this a Walther vase?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 05:43:33 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
Hi Liz

If you're sure its not Moser then yes it is most probably Walther... I'll see if I can find the model name later

Regards

Gareth

Hi again

Walther did not actually give this range a name....which is quite unusual for them. I found a few vases very similar except your one has a deeper than average gold band.
 They appear to have stopped making these around 1932/3 and this could have been an earlier 1920's piece that I do not have a catalogue for.
Perhaps someone else could advise if they know of any other manufacturer.

Regards

Gareth

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Is this a Walther vase?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 07:22:06 AM »
by the look of it the panels are cut, not pressed - which would make it Moser.  So where are the greek warriors - hiding in the shrubbery?

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Is this a Walther vase?
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 08:35:23 AM »
Liz, why are you sure it is not Moser?

I don't think it's Walther though..........

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Anonymous

Is this a Walther vase?
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 09:50:54 AM »
Liz

I tend to think along the same lines as Ivo and Glen as it does have a look of quality about it...reminds me of a Hoffman vase I had a while back......the other feature that I think is unlike Walther is the scalloped cutting on the rim.... the rims of the Walther show typical pressed glass limitations..... and going back to Walther I think they only appeared to use a couple of different styles of figures for their frieze... and this most definately does not look like it.
Does it have no markings at all underneath.... and if not does it look very highly polished.

Regards

Gareth

Anonymous

Is this a Walther vase?
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 10:00:00 AM »
Liz

I got up too early... :oops:  :roll:

The Walther ones unlike this do not have the foot either.... so even if its not Moser ( but it should be ).. then someone else made them to the same exacting standards as Moser.... but I've not seen any other reference other than these 2 makers.

Regards

Gareth

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Is this a Walther vase?
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 10:20:11 AM »
On a point of interest (I am not suggesting the vase in question is from either of these makers) the classical frieze style of vase was copied in pressed glass by Rindskopf in Czechoslovakia and Riihimaki in Finland. Both of them made iridised versions of these items, with a decorative frieze that features classical figures.

Rindskopf's were unusual in that they actually used a verdigris sort of stain that gave an oxidised metallic affect to the pattern frieze. Riihimaki simply used a frieze featuring moulded classical figures (female) - in a total "rip-off" of the Moser version. They're fabulous items - the Riihimaki examples are rare as hen's teeth; the Rindskopf ones are more available but still hard to find.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Anonymous

Is this a Walther vase?
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 03:44:18 PM »
Glen,

I'm familiar with Moser's "Amazon warrior" and "Satyr and Women" frieze but these bands of decoration are not as wide and have a "oxidized" appearance..The characters on this band are Greek or Roman warriors on horseback and chariots....

Liz...

Offline Hotglass

• Members
Is this a Walther vase?
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005, 03:46:59 PM »
Earlier ?
Koloman Moser ? WW ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum