No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Walther Lamp base?  (Read 10066 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Is this a Walther Lamp base?
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2005, 11:18:35 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ART-DECO-VINTAGE-VASELINE-GREEN-GLASS-FIGURE-MERMAIDS_W0QQitemZ7340908268QQcategoryZ64878QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Yep! that's the one, Gareth!  Look how much prettier the mermaid is! :shock: :D  

And do I take it you are saying that neither version is shown in any of the Walther catalogues?   :shock:  

Where do we go from here, then?   :?

Leni
Leni

Offline Morgan48

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2005, 11:25:39 AM »
Quote from: "Glen"
Gareth, I don't look at the computer screen (although I have been known to use a magnifying glass on the screen  :roll: ). I have a hard copy - had them for some years.

Glen

Glen
Aha.. :roll: ....Hadn't thought of that.... because I was going to mention the "magnifying" tool on Word....... thought it odd when you said said that.

Regards

Gareth

Offline Morgan48

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2005, 11:30:08 AM »
Quote from: "Leni"
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ART-DECO-VINTAGE-VASELINE-GREEN-GLASS-FIGURE-MERMAIDS_W0QQitemZ7340908268QQcategoryZ64878QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And do I take it you are saying that neither version is shown in any of the Walther catalogues?   :shock:  

Leni

Much better...particularly the base.... but neither in the catalogues....why do I get the feeling that the small powder bowl has some connection to Bagleys... didn't they do some marine inspired items..... not my area at all though so probably way off. :roll:
I suppose we go nowhere and remain speculative until someones comes along and says................

Gareth

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2005, 11:30:30 AM »
If we had to have a catalogue illustration of every single shape for every pattern before we allowed an attribution, then there would be a lot of "attributions" removed from the glass scene. As I said above, we can see a dresser tray and a covered jar in known catalogues (there were probably other catalogues, etc., but they are not yet known). No manufacturer of the size of Walther is going to have made a single jar and a single dresser tray in that pattern, and have it matched up with items produced by other makers when it was marketed.

The variation to the mermaids' arms could mean several things -
1. possibly there was more than one set in use at any one time (note 2 sticks to a single set would mean it was taking more use per single set)
2. possibly the mould suffered damage and was recut
3. possible one version was hard to get out of the mould so they recut
4. possibly the first version was damaged and when the set was made in the 1950s a new mould was cut for the sticks

Dresser sets known are in matching colours. It makes logical sense that all items in the set were made by the same maker. However, as we don't (yet) have an actual illustration of the sticks, you can simply say "probably Walther" for the sticks if you feel uncomfortable about going the whole way.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Anonymous

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2005, 02:53:48 PM »
Hi Tigerchips

If you have a look at one of the last postings from Glen on the thread
Ships from Bohemia... I think you will find your green boat on there.... plus some necessary info

Gareth

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2005, 02:58:29 PM »
Oh MY gosh. Am I girly today or what? Beans for brains I think.....

I mentioned this thread for a link, at the start of the Ships from Bohemia topic, but I forgot to mention it on this thread. Thanks Gareth. Sigh....it takes a man to spot these things.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Anonymous

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2005, 03:05:29 PM »
Quote from: "Glen"
Oh MY gosh. Am I girly today or what? Beans for brains I think.....

I mentioned this thread for a link, at the start of the Ships from Bohemia topic, but I forgot to mention it on this thread. Thanks Gareth. Sigh....it takes a man to spot these things.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Glen

Not really Glen....as I'm sure you're well aware of by now we stumble over things and sometimes they just seem to settle in the right place... nothing nearly as subtle as intentional..... anyway girly is good for you

Gareth

Anonymous

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2005, 05:52:08 AM »
Quote from: "Leni"

Leni

I have had another look at this set on Ebay but not finding it easy due to the poor photographs..... however I do believe that the powder bowl with the lid is shown in the 1934 catalogue as part of the Nymphen range..... and further to what Glen was saying about catalogues not necessarily showing all of the pieces in all of the colours in all of the sizes scenario I would have to err on the sisd of agreeing that the c/sticks could well be from the same Walther range. If this is correct I do still find it a very strange ommission if trying to encourage people to but the set.

Regards

Gareth

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand