No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Where to go in Bologna (and a day in Venice!)  (Read 1310 times)

Offline Flypogger

• Members
Where to go in Bologna (and a day in Venice!)
« on: May 15, 2008, 07:50:40 PM »
Hi All!

Just found out about joined the board - great to find such an amazing wealth of knowledge. I've been collecting for a little over 10 years now, a lot of Scandinavian and bits of American & Italian glass - really anything I can find! We are going to be in Bologna in a few weeks on vacation (May 30-June 4), with maybe a day in Venice, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any shops or points of interest (Murano tours or museums). Also any mid-century stores that might have some glass. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Pete

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Where to go in Bologna (and a day in Venice!)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 10:24:56 PM »
Hi Pete,  welcome to the board! 

If you're going to Murano bear in mind that the glass workers start work at about 5.00am.  So if you want to see glass being blown go to the furnaces early, and to the Glass Museum and galleries later. 

In Venice I would recommend going to see Alex - 'Art of Venice' - whose shop is just off St Marco.  direction on his website  http://www.artofvenice.com/   Also in Venice, I would recommend seeing the Basilica for the floors, and the Doges' Palace for the ceilings!  LOL  ;D  The Rialto Bridge is a must-see, and there are many excellent restaurants just under the Rialto beside the Grand Canal. 

Enjoy your visit!       
Leni

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
Re: Where to go in Bologna (and a day in Venice!)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 05:01:03 PM »
For a one day visit in Venice, my advice is to go on the top of the tower (campanile) in San Giorgio island, the island in front of San Marco. from there you have the most spectacular view not only on venice, but also of the lagoon. Other "must to see" spots around San Marco area for a so (too) fast visit:
- Salute church (cross the Gran canal by gondola for just 0,5 Euro from San Maurizio square)
- Rialto Bridge
- Accademia Bridge
Take a public boat and go along the gran Canal to see some of the most spectacular palaces from the water perspective

Last, very important point: look for an hotel to came back for more days next time!

Ciao

Alex
www.artofvenice.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand