No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Do stickers make a difference on a Murano piece?  (Read 3890 times)

Offline corbincollects

• Members
Do stickers make a difference on a Murano piece?
« on: May 25, 2008, 10:15:55 AM »
Due to the death of a friend, I now have over 300 pieces of Murano. Some have stickers, others do not. I am not sure how to list them on Ebay, for I know nothing about Murano glass.

Thanks in advance

Corbin

Offline shandiane78

• Members
Re: Do stickers make a difference on a Murano piece?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 02:36:09 AM »
Stickers can definitely help in identifying a piece. The best thing to do would be to start posting photos of the pieces along with their stickers. Chances are a good deal of it could be identified here. Sounds like a big job...But a rewarding one.

So sorry about your friend.
Shannon

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 12:55:36 PM »
Hi Corbin,

There are guidelines for posting pictures in this thread here:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html

Let us know if you have any problems.

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 03:39:39 PM »
Corbin,
also, i would say, there are many different qualities and styles of Murano,
i think , once you start listing a few at a time, you will attract the collectors,
and hopefully get a fair price, list with plenty of pictures from different angles,
describe them fully, and dont sell to people who ask 'have you got a buy it now price?'
Do some research on Murano , look regularly at other Murano items for sale on ebay for info,
maybe ask a good local auction house to visit you, (usually free)  they will give you some ideas.

Good luck,
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 04:46:16 PM »
Dear Corbin,
in general if I'm not too confident about stickers, but i think that you can consider 3 different kinds of stickers.

a) Company stickers. Expecially if of a major company (example venini) they are important. Also if the company outsources the production to an external studio, the original sticker adds value. The same piece (when I say the same I mean exactely the same, made by the same hands) if with the right signature and the right sticker can be sold much better than without.

b) The stickers of the different associations (promovetro, consorzio, etc.). During the last years there were some different associations to protect the name of Murano glass and the companies member of these associations usually apply  the official sticker on their production. Due to these stickers are usally with a kind of company code/number, they are a kind of guarantee that that piece is original and help to identify the producer. Very important: not every murano company decided to be member of the association and therefore there are a lot of good original glass without these stickers.

c) Generic stickers. Not trustworthy. Every seller can buy them as bulk stickers package and attach everywhere. They were and are made in so many different styles, shapes and colours.

In general the very high end glassworks, the work of art made in glass (lino tagliapietra, Davide Salvadore, Livio Seguso and similars), have no stickers, just the signature. For these pieces the glass speaks alone...  :hiclp:

Sincerely

Alex

www.artofvenice.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand