No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby bowl, (year ?)  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Gilead

• Members
Sowerby bowl, (year ?)
« on: May 16, 2008, 07:49:26 AM »
Hi found this Sowerby Bowl can anyone put an year to it and is the label any good for indexing on here for some one. cheers
                                                                                                                                                                     Steve

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Sowerby bowl, (year ?)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 12:22:03 PM »
Fabulous colour that, Steve, one of my favourite colours. Nice to see a labelled example as well - label would be welcome in the GlassGallery label collection please.  (I don't think this one is there already.)

As to age, I'm not sure. I recall seeing them in the 1970s but they may well date from before that - possibly late 1950s. Someone will probably know. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 02:07:09 PM »
Anne.
        Please go ahead and use the label if you need a better picture please let me know, i did not think these went back to the 50's learn something ever day, keeps the old gray matter ticking over. i also have a red or ruby one, think i have posted before but not sure,
                                                                                                                                                                              Steve.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 07:01:39 PM »
Steve, thank you. I've added it here: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9999 :)

Reading more I suspect early 1960s onwards rather than late 1950s Steve. Chris Stewart in his book Davidson Glass a history, says that in 1960 Davidson commissioned JD Cochrane to produce a  range of contemporary glassware and that this was widely copied, by Sowerby amongst other makers.  I think your piece is from that era.or a little later.

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 09:07:08 PM »
The colour and label are both after 1956, when I left.  Our labels, as I recall, were identical to this one but with a light gold background.

Adam D.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:26:36 PM »
Adam, thank you, that's useful to know.

Steve, I found the Davidson version of your item on Chris' website so you can see how similar they are:
http://www.cloudglass.com/Gallerypostwar.htm - scroll down about a 1/4 of the page.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand