No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: dark blue glass bowl with engraving ID: Whitefriars  (Read 5566 times)

Offline jonevark

• Members
dark blue glass bowl with engraving ID: Whitefriars
« on: May 17, 2008, 11:39:18 PM »
Hi,

I am new to collecting and dont know alot about glass and have just started collecting and just buy what i like the look of as my main rule of thumb this is one of my first purchases from a car boot for the grand total of £1 and would like to know if you can you help me to identify this bowl it looks almost black until light is shone on it but it is a very dark blue bowl with clear glass overlaid when you hold it in certain postitions, it also has what looks like a bison engraved on the top rim of the bowl, it has a perfectly round polished pontil base.

I would love to learn a bit about glass and was wondering if any of you could help with maker, age and why the bison is there as it is intriguing me, many thanks for reading this post

Jo :O)

Offline jonevark

• Members
 :cry: any ideas :cry:

Offline Andy

• Members
Hi Jo,
Welcome to the board, have patience ;)
I would think someone will recognise the bison, it sometimes can take days, weeks or years,
Regards
Andy

"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
That is Whitefriars made for the Royal antediluvian society of the buffaloes i have one in ruby.
 probably spelt the A word wrong just rushing out for emergency dental treatment. oooouch.JP

Offline jonevark

• Members
hi,

Thank you for your response... sorry I didnt realise, it took a while, ignorance on my part, many thanks john for identifying the piece for me

Kind regards

Jo

Offline Andy

• Members
Hi Jo,
that was pretty quick! well done JP :hiclp:

Just in case your'e dying to know more, i found this website,
http://www.raob.org/

Fascinating :-\

Cheers,
Andy 8)

ps, i expect the bowl is circa 1970s, JP , correct me if im miles out.

"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Hi Jo is the great horned beast gilded mine is,i would love to know the colour of the bowl.
 I am not sure of the date but i can find out , yours is only the second one i have seen in the last thirty years or so.

Offline jonevark

• Members
Hi,

im afraid mine isnt gilded just etched into the glass,  my buffalo doesnt have horns either but its very nice to know a little bit about the glass, and many thanks andy for the link, in the middle of my glass it is almost a cobalt blue but the rim and outer part of the glass is very black, I wonder john if you wouldnt mind posting a piccy of yours if at all possible as it would be nice to see your piece, no worries if you cant, many thanks

Jo :O)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Hi Jo i hope i didnt confuse you on my buffaloe you cant see the horns,but i promise they do have them
also the guilding is very faint and the buffaloe is intaglio cut into the glass,yours is right although the picture wasnt brill but at least you can post them .JP

Offline krsilber

• Members
Having never heard of RAOB, I had to have a look at the site Andy kindly posted.  What a gas!  The language of the explanation of Buffaloism seems itself antediluvian, if sentence length is any indication -
"Before going on to an explanation of the various things to which we apply this
gospel of good fellowship, it seems to me to be a good place to advise a searcher
after the truth, who has absorbed this rather tentative and possibly inadequate
picture of the sprit in which we work; if, in the reading he finds himself on
unfamiliar ground, with no touch of responsive warmth in his heart; it might be as
well for him and for us if he gives up the vision of hidden bonanzas in buffaloism;
there is nothing in it of what the commercial mind would call 'PROFIT'."

I wonder if the bowl is considered one of the hidden bonanzas.  That's excellent that JP could identify it!  (Sorry to hear about your emergency dental work, JP.  Ouch. :()
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand