No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chinese pattern pink pressed glass tray? - ID = Brockwitz Chinapressung (Chi  (Read 4382 times)

Tigerchips

Hello , I've got another piece of pressed glass to show you.

It has a dragon in the bottom left corner, a ship under a bridge and two pagoda's. It also has dragons around the rim.  :)

Mod: Photo uploaded to GlassGallery:   :)
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6890

It sort of reminds me of the willow pattern in a way.

I'd love to know who made it, any help would be much appreciated.  :)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Chinese pattern pink pressed glass tray?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 07:57:25 AM »
Hello Tigerchips, me again  :shock:

Your pressed glass item is a very unusual one - in fact I have not seen many of them "in the flesh". It is a tray (probably intended as a dresser tray) that was made by Brockwitz in Germany, circa late 1920s.

It was their "Service 42000" Chinapressung (China pressing).

Hope this helps you.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Tigerchips

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 07:59:50 PM »
Thanks a lot Glen.  :)

I don't think i'll sell it because it has a few chips (moan) on the inside rim.  :(

The chips are not deep and not easy to spot. I seem to only spot chips when I get home. :roll:

Still, it's nice to know who made it.  :)

I tried to sell a chipped Brockwitz Fish centrepiece but I only made about £5. Typical, I didn' know about the chip until I got it home. :roll:

Actually, that's how I found the Glass Message Board. I used a search engine to see if i could find out something about it, and up came this site.  8)

When I look for chips i seem to only check the places where there aren't any.  :lol:

It's strange, the more I look at my tray the more things I can see on it. It has a bird and an insect and on the two sides of the rim it has two bat like creatures.

I bought it one or two years ago thinking it was a tray. I later realised that it was part of a dressing table set, so I hung onto it in case I came across the other pieces. I never did though :)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 09:05:39 PM »
Keep it, Tigerchips. Keep it. It's an important and fabulous item made by a wonderful manufacturer. You will have far more enjoyment from owning it and admiring it - and from becoming significant in maintaining a part of the history of the Brockwitz Glass factory - than any five or even twenty quid's worth could ever bring you.

Cherish it. Admire it. It's magnificent....as is the fish handled centerpiece you sold. I bought a pink one of those at Ardingley a few months ago. Nothing would prise it from my hands now.

Congratulations on having such splendid and unusual glass.

Glen
PS I have ID'd your Carnival too.
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand