No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby green depression glass vase frog  (Read 7268 times)

Offline frenchbruce

• Members
Re: Sowerby green depression glass vase frog
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 08:44:11 AM »
Mmmmm...hey I didn't want to introduce a bun fight over my glass vase! but I'm a little confused re the numbering...Bernard calls mine a 2505S  and its certainly not toothpick sized...and the number on my black plinth is 2506.

Personally..I'll be happy to get any green glass frog that runs with the design that Sowerby used on this particular vase..whether it be radioactive or not  :) :)

bruce

Offline frenchbruce

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 09:08:52 AM »
Just to add a bit more to my puzzle....one of the strange distinctive bits of info about the frog I'm looking for was that the top of it was quite flat..as I said early on...I can remember it having an almost crystal cut flat surface to the frog...almost like it had been ground and then etched smooth...but.. I'm no expert in Sowerby and all i can say is the lost frog did not look like the one in the JPEG I've found here...

The mystery deepens!

Moderator: see lower down the topic for an eBay link to the image referred to

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 11:33:33 AM »
We quite like FRIENDLY bunfights,  :angel: I too would probably want a matching uranium flower block, so it really depends how much Bruce wants one at all. The shape is another issue and I will look in the catalogues this evening.

Your vase number is confusing but correct. Glass and ceramics manufacturers loved to confuse with their numbering systems. 2505 was the style, 2505L was the large, your apparently medium sized vase is the 2505S (small), the later introduced smaller vase was the 2505 posy and the teeny vase the 2505 ??, now known as the toothpick. Confused, join the club! Plinth numbers and vase numbers didn't match

Bruce, can you provide a link to the blue vase picture please. As it's not your picture it's naughty to attach it here (copyright issues) but a link is fine

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 02:47:56 PM »
Seconding what Christine says about the pic copyright - if it's someone else's pic please either ask their permission to reuse or let us know and we'll remove from the topic.

OK, to finding you a replacement frog... can someone tell me what size the frog would be please? Or can Bruce tell me what the internal diameter of the vase is?

I went rummaging in my glass cupboard and found the one pictured below which looks like it may be the one (perhaps Christine can confirm please?) - it's a uranium green , etch-marked on the bottom PATENT APPLIED FOR, overall width is 4¼" (110mm) and 3" (75mm) tall. (I even remembered to do the metric sizes!!!  ;D)  I checked Glen's Sowerby catalogue CD (volume 2) and my 8-spoked frog is shown in the late 1930s with the 2482 vase and the 2583 vase, but I can't make out whether the 2505 uses the 6-pointed star frog or the 8-pointed one as shown in Bruce's other pic above or either depending on which catalogue I'm looking at! (Help!)

By the way Bruce, I used my moderatorial wizardry to rotate your image so we can see it without getting a crick in the neck!  >:D
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 06:26:13 PM »
You're right it's confusing.

As far as I can see, Sowerby made two flower holders: the Derby which is round with small holes surrounding a large central hole and the Star which is the one we have here.

The star came in three sizes, 2.25, 3.25 and 4.25 (those 0.25 might be 0.5, can't do fractions and can't see catalogue clearly enough).

All vases of the right sort of size seem to have the eight-point Star to match their eight points!  Measuring inside my Iris 2505 and studying the scuff marks I would go for the largest one. The 3.25/5 would appear to slip further down than the scuff marks.

Just to confuse matters even further, the largest (9 inch) 2505, whether Iris or Lily was also sold as a salad bowl. When sold as a centrepiece, the catalogue seems to show a different flower holder for the 9 inch, maybe a block or a Derby.

The 2505 also had an upright form and was sold as a celery, or with a holder as a vase!

Al info from Glen's CD

Offline frenchbruce

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 10:36:55 PM »
Hi Christine..thanks for your input...sorry about the image without an acknowledgement link...:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ART-DECO-SOWERBY-STUNNING-BLUE-GLASS-VASE-FROG-1930S_W0QQitemZ350062494516QQihZ022QQcategoryZ70031QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Back to my own green vase....if I place a roll of paper in the vase and measure the diameter at the bottom of the vase..it appears to be approx. 2.5 " and tapering out towards the top to about 3" roughly so a frog that is about 3" overall in diameter at the top would sit into position okay.
This means I guess that the mid sized frog is what I'm looking for because the small one would sit down too low.
Radioactive or not....I'm won't be picky...I would just take what I can get...

Regards

bruce

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 04:16:44 AM »
... the later introduced smaller vase was the 2505 posy ...

Christine — No it wasn't, it was, to the best of my knowledge, the 2505 Posy, that is unless you have evidence that it was also called the 2505 posy.

... and the teeny vase the 2505 ??, now known as the toothpick.   ...

Christine — No it isn't — at least I wasn't aware of it.   I just said: we don't know the name of the toothpick sized version (with only six petals — they ran out of space), but everyone knows what you mean by a 2505 toothpick.   Not quite the same.   

...   Plinth numbers and vase numbers didn't match.   ...

Christine — Oh, yes they did!   The 2616 plinth was designed for the 2616 vase, for example.   Sometimes they matched, sometimes they were consecutive, sometimes with larger gaps.   There were no rules.

...   Glass and ceramics manufacturers loved to confuse with their numbering systems.   ...

Confuse who, Christine?   You and me today, perhaps, with our scanty and imperfect knowledge, but certainly not their employees, agents and customers at the time.   It was the language they used to communicate, and very effective it was as well.   Just look back through Adam's postings to this message board to see how clearly he remembers Sowerby pattern numbers.

...   I went rummaging in my glass cupboard and found the one pictured below which looks like it may be the one (perhaps Christine can confirm please?) - it's a uranium green , etch-marked on the bottom PATENT APPLIED FOR, overall width is 4¼" (110mm) and 3" (75mm) tall.   ...

Anne — That's the one that fits the 2505 L Iris / Lily / Celery, and a nice early example too.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 11:39:02 AM »
Bernard, good to see you're surviving the builders! :)  Thanks for the confirmation - I have a clear 2505 vase in the cupboard as well so I'll try it for size - hadn't thought of doing that as it's a different colour glass (doh!)! ::) It does fit my green F2583 vase though.

Offline Charmunn

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • uranium / manganese glass
    • Auckland / New Zealand
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2020, 08:21:55 PM »
Hi I'm new here and from Auckland - I just started collecting glass & I'm a bit late to this thread, but thought I'd see if Bruce found his 6 point vase frog?
 I found one last month but mine has a big chip off one of the points and is flat on top. The picture in the Sowerby 1933 catalog looks the same.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2021, 05:02:31 PM »
Hi Charmunn and welcome to the board. Thank you for showing your 6 point frog, I've not seen one of those before.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand