No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: WF 9571 vase, how many colours ?  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Gilead

• Members
WF 9571 vase, how many colours ?
« on: May 22, 2008, 09:44:40 AM »
Hi All
       While in the little shop i found yesterday i bought this WF vase can any one tell me how many colours this came in i know it's a 9571. i also have a Artic blue one 1964 circa.
                                            Steve

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: WF 9571 vase, how many colours ?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 03:17:10 PM »
Not offhand Steve, but there's a place where you can see the original catalogues which have the colours listed. See http://www.whitefriars.org and http://www.whitefriars.com - have fun looking, it's fascinating. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 12:15:54 AM »
Cheers Anne.
                 got it posted in my sudanem on there been looking at the big ribbed red vase the chap as one in his shop but am trying to get him down in price.  ;D fingers crossed might go up today and give him my charm  ::) maybe buy a few other piece's to entice him my way of thinking,
           Steve

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 02:24:51 PM »
I saw this on whitefriars.com, where Steve/Samuel asked for an ID.  I gave him the pattern number and colour.  He did not ask for a list of colours.  In any event to give him a list of colours would have been a burden on my time currently when all he has to do is type in the pattern number into the search box on the home page, get up a list of catalogues and peruse each one for the colours of the vase .  So I suggest he does this and as Anne says , it is fun!!!  It is also a learning curve, which seems is generally not encouraged in today's society.  A bit of DIY in this respect will bring more knowledge than being handed it on a plate!    yours grumpily Emmi

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 11:47:33 PM »
Thank you Emmi.
                       As you say i could have and should have gone though the cat's but as i was on the way out and at present doing my bungalow up, thought it no harm in asking for a quick answer to how many other colours there may be.

As you are quite up on Whitefriars, may i take this chance to ask you some advise please, i am currently thinking of making a purchase of a cylindrical shape  tumbler vase with wave ribbing inside which is Whitefriar's  would you say it is a fair price of 3 score, at present.

i think it is one of Marriott Powell in ruby red of 12ins 8473 / 1957 cat.
                                                                        kind regards
                                                                        Steve.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 07:09:17 AM »
Just sticking my nose in ... does 3 score mean £60?  (Sorry to be old-fart-ish  :-\)  Only I recently bought a 9 inch (23cm) one of those 8473's in Ruby for £38.  Mind you, the dealer didn't know it was WF and told me it would have been more if she had  :D  (I told her what it was AFTER I bought it  >:D

Emmi or another WF person will no doubt be able to tell you better than I things like which sizes and colours are more valuable.  You can search the catalogues and see which were made for longer, and thereby get an idea of rarity, but on occasion you may find there are anomalies of which only WF aficionados are aware  ::)   

However, as a general rule, the colours which were made for longest are likely to be more easily found, but you do need to search every catalogue, to find out if certain colours were only made in certain years, and if some sizes - like my 9 inch - were discontinued!   It does get complicated, and personally speaking, I get easily confused  :-\  (and therefore prefer to try to pick other people's brains  :-[  ::) )
Leni

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 09:10:10 AM »
Mind you, the dealer didn't know it was WF and told me it would have been more if she had  :D  (I told her what it was AFTER I bought it  >:D )

I had something similar recently - an amateur glass/ceramics dealer at the local big carboot-cum-Sunday-market had two WF vases on his stall, a golden amber 8473 wave-ribbed vase and a Gold FLC 9873 vase. He recognised the former vase, and asked a slightly steep price for it (for a carboot sale), but had no idea about the second, rarer, vase, and asked for only a nugatory amount.

He seemed a terribly nice gent, so I bought both.  ;D

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 09:57:18 AM »
Hi Leni
          Yes you are spot on so you are not the --- ---- ish . i have looked in the WF cat and found that 8473 vase was made from 1957 to 64 so dont really know the rarity of the 12inc tumbler i spoke to his friend whom was looking after the shop and i said i would be back and maybe interested if he came down on the price, he seemed to think he would.

But as i like the vase i might pay what he is asking but Shhhhs dont spread it around ;D and thank you for the info of how much you paid for your 9inch it sort of helps me know around what i may ask him to drop it to, as i intend to purchase some other glass he also has , more power to my bargaining
                       Steve

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 10:24:16 AM »
On terms of value for the wave ribbed  vases, they don't seem to go for too much on ebay, they are a rather under rated  vase, but seem to command much better prices in the shops.  The 12 inch ones do not seem to be too readily available though, but £60  does seem a bit steep. They are very impressive though. I have a 10 inch Sea Green( with label) which looks enormous and which I am hoping to sell privately for about £40.  I had a gorgeous 10inch golden Amber on ebay last year which only reached about £25. that was disappointing.  Unfortunately the postage for these items is off-putting and of course they are not part of the textured range which still seems to command the higher prices.  Emmi

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 09:02:46 AM »
Emmi
       Thank you for the input i now know a figure to stay to and not go above so fingers crossed he will see it from my point of view even though i know he has hiked the price by 3 he paid for it has he is an house clearance person.
                                                                                                                            Steve

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand