No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I have 2 or 3 pieces of unknown carnival glass  (Read 1677 times)

Tigerchips

I have 2 or 3 pieces of unknown carnival glass
« on: August 07, 2005, 10:48:05 PM »
Hi, i've tried looking on ebay and on Carnival glass websites but i haven't found any of them on there.

This candle holder has a dark blue base colour and a strong purple irridesence. The white bits seem to be pressed into the glass. I have a feeling it might be Ultra modern.
http://tinypic.com/a44y9y.jpg

This one is in a marigold colour
http://tinypic.com/a44yn4.jpg

And this bowl is chequered on the back.
http://tinypic.com/a44z2x.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 07:49:09 AM »
Tigerchips - the first item is not Carnival Glass. It's iridised, but not all iridised glass is Carnival Glass  :?  

Item 2 is a "Mitred Diamonds and Pleats" bowl / rose bowl. It's almost certainly European, but no maker has yet been confirmed with certainty. It's often referred to as "English".

Item 3 is classic, old Carnival made by Northwood, in the USA. The pattern on the bowl is "Nippon". The chequered design on the back is known as "Basketweave".

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Tigerchips

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 10:30:27 PM »
Thanks Glen.

If I had 10 glass bowls and only one was chipped, and only one was worth a considerable amount, you can bet your bottom doller it'll be the one with the chip in it. :roll:

The chip on the Northwood bowl is underneath the rim approx 10mm square and difficult to spot. There is also a small chip next to the flower in the centre.

I tried selling this (Northwood Nippon) bowl on an antique fair
 for £6.

Mostly all of them just ignored it, and one of them just picked it up and said: "£6, huh". I was beggining to think that I lived in the wrong country. Some people just don't know the meaning of the word "Manners" :roll:

I dare say I could set up a museum of chipped items. That isn't why they call me Tigerchips though, i'm just well known in my town for eating chips.  :)

If this bowl is Northwood then why has it not got the "N" logo. If mine has, It must be very faint.  :?:

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 06:43:08 AM »
Hi Tigerchips - you asked:

If this bowl is Northwood then why has it not got the "N" logo. If mine has, It must be very faint.

The answer is that not all Northwood Carnival is marked with the N (in a circle underlined, though sometimes these features can be very lightly moulded). Some is. Some isn't. Simple as that.

There are some contemporary fakes that have a large, chunky looking N on the middle of the marie (collar base). The N isn't in a circle and isn't underlined. The patterns that have been faked are Peacocks, Good Luck and Grape & Cable. They are very easy to spot if you have had some experience with the "real thing". I have written about them on the thread "Fakes and Reproductions".
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2051.0.html

So sorry to hear that you have gotten a chip on this piece....but look on the bright side. Maybe it will make you keep it and love it. Just think, you could have got six quid for it at that fair if the guy had bought it. HIS LOSS. Instead you have a wonderful piece of glass, made in the early 1900s by a master glass maker (and an Englishman to boot!) who was a true artist. The pattern was inspired by Oriental design and is wonderfully evocative of its time.

Who cares about a darned chip! It's a wonderful piece of glass in an unusual pattern. Lucky you.

Glen

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 07:55:23 AM »
Quote from: "Tigerchips"
I dare say I could set up a museum of chipped items.

:lol:  I've already got one, Tigerchips!  :roll:

Most of my collection has damage!  As I've said before on this board, it's how I can afford to collect examples of pieces I like.  (For example, I just got a beautiful little Stuart (probably) Vaseline vase for a ridiculously low price - no-one else even bid on it!  :shock: -  because it had *tiny* chips off the very tips of two of the acanthus leaf feet! )

So if you want to sell any of your chipped items, don't despair!  There may well be someone like me on the look-out for them  :lol:

The problem is balancing how much people are prepared to pay against how much you need to get for it, to recoup your outgoings.   I would say, if you are going to lose money on the deal and you like the item yourself, the answer is to keep it and enjoy it, as Glen says!   If you don't really like it that much, keep it for a while to lessen the blow and then sell it and accept the loss as part of life's rich tapestry  :roll:

As long as you 'earn a crust' at the end of the day, it's all good fun!  :wink:

Leni
Leni

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 08:07:33 AM »
On the subject of chips, damage etc., I feel there are many instances when it is fine (fine fine) to buy damaged glass.

1. You can't afford an undamaged item in that shape/pattern/colour etc.

2. You need the piece for research and it's a "missing link".

3. It's rare, special, unknown etc., and WHEN will you find another (maybe never)?

4. It fills a gap in a collection - keep it till you find an undamaged one.

5. It's love at first sight - who cares about a tiny chip!

6. You have small children, cats, dogs, flying animals, or you are pathologically clumsy - best to buy chipped as it'll be that way soon enough anyhow.

Probably more reasons too..................

Glen

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: I have 2 or 3 pieces of unknown carnival glass
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 07:49:18 AM »
TC, I don't suppose you've still got these pics, have you?  :)

I am not a man

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand