Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

'Cranberry' (Ruby, really) textured 'Bottle Kiln' vase

(1/2) > >>

Leni:
Anyone able to help with a maker for this vase I picked up in an antique shop today?  It was sold as 'Cranberry' but it looks to me like Ruby that has stretched out to look more pink than red.  I don't usually 'go for' textured, but the weird shape of this reminded me of a sort of lop-sided 'Bottle Kiln'  :D   

It's got two clear mould lines and has a nicely polished out pontil mark. 

vidrioguapo:
Can't help with ID, but these are always on ebay described as Whitefriars !!!!  They always remind me of something pulled out by a surgeon!!!  Emmi

Leni:

--- Quote from: vidrioguapo on May 24, 2008, 07:43:35 PM ---They always remind me of something pulled out by a surgeon!!!  Emmi

--- End quote ---
LOL  >:D  I can see what you mean, Emmi   :P  But I think I prefer my 'Bottle Kiln' description  ;)

Totally wrong colour for WF!  ::) 

Ivo:
No idea who is responsible for these but they began to appear in furniture shops and home decoration outlets around 8 years ago, as part of the fashion for a-symmetric design. The sheer volume of production suggests they were made in Poland, Romania, India or (here we go again) China.

Leni:
Thanks, Ivo  :)

I know I've seen modern Chinese paperweights with 'properly' polished bases, but I guess it really puts the cat among the pigeons if the Indians and Chinese are starting to polish out pontil marks!  :o   'Cos everyone 'knows' polished out pontil marks = Whitefriars!  >:D  ;)  LOL!

Well, I guess I'll just put it in the spare room  ::) 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version