No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: reproduction legras  (Read 5555 times)

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
reproduction legras
« on: May 26, 2008, 02:47:47 AM »
Has Legras been reproduced? If so what are the hallmarks of it? are there any pages that talk about it?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
Re: reproduction legras
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 03:41:21 AM »
well I just found one at least. I've never seen a reproduction legras that I was aware of. I'd love to see more examples.

http://www.dsml.org/products/italian-bright-poppies-vase-italy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 09:13:52 AM »
That one is not a reproduction but an original by another Legras.

Best pointers for the fake cameo, including LeGras can be found in Fakes & Reproductions, Chervenka 2001, isbn 0873492366 although he only covers those made since the late 90's. I don't think there was much, if any, Legras faked earlier. If there was it probably remains undetected. There was a lot of Gallé faked in Japan in the 70s-80s but that is all traded as genuine now. The more modern fakes are more easily recognised using the above book.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:18:13 PM »
"There was a lot of Gallé faked in Japan in the 70s-80s but that is all traded as genuine now."
!!! I never would have guessed Japan was into the repro industry, it seems to all get blamed on China or Romania.  Are the Japanese Galle fakes so hard to tell from the originals, or is it just ignorance that they exist?
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 10:11:07 PM »
I've handled a lot of Cameo glass over the years -so I'm moderately comfortable around what is and is not fake -But you always have to be ready for whaever is coming next.....

At the moment I'd say the following.

The Standard reproduction Galle Cameo is pretty easy to spot -once you've handled enough and provided you stick to less outlandish pieces. As for the Japanese 70-80 pieces I've seen a lot that are very spottable-but I suppose there could be others getting missed. As with many fakes the best Japanese fakes I've seen were very big ticket items (£10,000+) -so safe for most pockets

Good Reproduction Daum Cameo is a little harder to spot -that can be scary -traditional shapes, colours and patterns are safe, but Daum were so diverse -its possible to get caught out if you are too bold!

Schneider Cameo fakes are better quality than the Galle, but still quite detectable -I still see these being passed off as correct.

Not seen much in the way of faked Legras. -not going to be big enough money -if they've gone that far they can just put a better name on it!

Much harder to detect is 'renaming' as I call it -ie someone takes an original Delatte cameo vase say worth £400  removes the Delatte cameo signature and adds a Galle signature. It's now  apparantly 'original Galle'  worth £1500. Even these are spottable with little practice -Cameo ones are easiest, but I've seen some so called first period (1890s) Enamelled Galle pieces priced at £10,000+ which I'm pretty sure were really £1,000 Baccarat pieces -but correctly dated.

Simple rule is: only buy if you are 100% sure or you can 100% trust the seller.

On a lighter note. I once bought a nice signed Legras, took it home, washed it, and to my horror the added signature came off. Distraught I gave it a second more careful wash -to see what I'd really bought- and revealed another correct Legras signature elswhere on the piece!  phew!

cheers

Mike     

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand