No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help wanted with Seguso Bowl  (Read 1509 times)

Offline k2hsharpe

• Members
Help wanted with Seguso Bowl
« on: May 29, 2008, 02:37:53 PM »
Would like any information this bowl, the label has either 7107 or 7104 written on it (I think it is 7107).
It appears to be cased, clear on the outside and blue on the inside with gold flecks on the surface of the blue.
It is lobed, in the shape of a triangle with approximate dimensions of 7 inches (18 cm) from base of triangle to apex,
with sides of approximately 7 plus 7 plus 6 inches.  It is approximately 3 inches (7.5cm) high.

My questions are ....
is it a lobed bowl (I was told it was an ashtray but there are no cigarette rests)?
is it pulegoso?
age?
designer?
anything else?

All / any help much appreciated
thanks
Kevin

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Help wanted with Seguso Bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 06:07:50 AM »
Hi Kevin.

It looks very much like pulegoso to me. The label, I believe, is a Seguso Vetri D'Arte label. Marc Heiremans in Murano Glass: Themes and Variations shows a label with very similar design and and exactly the same layout on p. 202. He writes, "The paper label was used by the factory from the late 1940's until the early 1960's. The hand written numerals refer to the model number." As his picture show a paper label and yours is a foil label, and I would think that yours came towards the end of that time frame. Attributing a designer would harder. Poli was artistic director at the time, but it could be a number of people.

Nice piece with an unusual shade of blue.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline k2hsharpe

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 05:28:39 AM »
thanks for response David although "..an unusual shade of blue." had me worried.  My colour vision is so crappy I wondered if my Photoshop PP had mucked it up.  On examination last night under a flouro light globe (one of those alleged environmentally friendly ones) the colour comes very close.    In direct sunlight today the blue has moved a tad towards traditional ink colour, but still pretty close.
I'm attaching another image, this one of the base.  It may be a common treatment but this is the only one I remember seeing with it.  Instead of just a flat ground base like a table top the bowl was formed with a smooth inverted depression in it.  In the centre of the depression is a small smooth protuberance.  The depression has had a bowl shaped grinding that has created a flat spot on each of the lobes within the depression.  A second grinding has created another series of flat spots the lobes, these overlap the first set of ground facets.  The bowl sits on these second ground surfaces.  These paired ground flat spots are most visible in the lobes at the top and immediately to the left of the top lobes.  Is this a common treatment do you know?

The bowl weighs a substantial 5lbs 13oz (aprox 2.2 kgs) for something not real large.

Again, thankyou for your response

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 07:30:50 AM »
I would say so. I have a Whitefriars lobed bowl here that has the centre where the punty rod was completely ground out and then the base of each of the lobes is ground to make it stand flat. Just sounds like standard tidying up to me on something where the lobes meet in the middle

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 07:51:25 AM »
Kevin:

I didn't mean to create concern with the colour comment. I like the blue. I checked the bottom of the closest piece I have to yours, a Seguso VA deeply-lobed corroso bowl from just a little after yours. It's cut straight across the bottom, extending out to the lobes. But mine is made from a single gather of glass, whereas it looks like yours is made up of at least two gathers. More importantly, the finish on the bottom of your bowl is very clean and neat. 

Christine replied as I was typing this, and she certainly has more knowledge than I have, so you can be reassured by her comments.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand