No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Beautiful Bride's Bowl... who made it?  (Read 3241 times)

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: Beautiful Bride's Bowl... who made it?
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 12:58:51 AM »
I really appreciate everyone's help and attempts to id this! The glass color has to indicate something, I just don't know what. Someone once suggested Wheeling Peachblow? 

That's a possibility.  The colors don't seem really typical, your red has got a purplish tinge to it, but colors did seem to vary a bit.  The transition is pretty abrupt, too.  Can you tell if the outer edge of the red is any darker than that about 1 1/2" in from the edge?  Another thing is that the white liner of Wheeling peachblow seems really super white and dense, but that too may have varied.  I've never seen any of it enameled, though.

I now agree American is a good bet.  The company remains a big question mark.  New England, Hobbs, Brockunier and Mt. Washington are possibilities.  Mt. Washington seems a particularly strong one to me, worth investigating anyway.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ron

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 01:40:33 AM »
Slightly OT, but Hobbs, Brockunier and "Wheeling" are one and the same.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 01:59:04 AM »
Thank you for clarifying that...I've thought the same for a while now but it's nice to have it confirmed (I didn't mean to confuse people here - should have said it differently).  For some reason it's very common to refer to Hobbs, Brockunier's peach blow (Coral, actually) as Wheeling peach blow.  Shuman's American Art Glass shows pieces on the same page, calling some Wheeling and some Hobbs, Brockunier!
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 11:40:01 AM »
I guess bouncing it off the Corning Museum folk would be the next step.

As to Hobbs etc, Ivo's Glass Fact file, gives Wheeling as the location and the name changes of the company. Perhaps Wheeling gets used when items span name changes. It is quite common to get glassworks names and the company name confused, particularly in older books, but sometimes because items were sometimes marked with one or the other of the two names and no-one knows the connection. Interestingly that in 1910 the Pottery Gazette list Tomey & Son, Tay Glass Works as the only glassworks in Perth. Yet at that time the North British Glassworks was also there run by John Moncrieff Ltd who also owned Tomey and the Tay glassworks - I have never been able to find out why both companies were kept in existence, presumably just business instruments. On the web you will rarely find North British Glassworks linked to Moncrieff because their target balls, only, were marked N B Glassworks and almost everything else as Moncrieff, Tomey or Todd.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 05:42:54 PM »
I've only ever heard Wheeling used for Wheeling Peachblow.  In Glass A to Z there's a separate listing for "Wheeling Peachblow," which Hobbs, Brockunier started making "shortly after" 1883.  I don't know how long it was made, but you may be right about it spanning name changes, since Hobbs, Brockunier became J.H. Hobbs Glass Co. in 1888 (not mentioned in Ivo's book) before being taken over by US Glass Co. in 1891.  I think that Wheeling Peachblow was probably one of those names that was used by someone at some point and just caught on.  At any rate I doubt the time frame for most objects can be narrowed down well enough to call those that spanned the change "Wheeling" and those that didn't "Hobbs, Brockunier."
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 09:15:12 PM »
I talked to Tom Bredehoft, who wrote a book about Hobbs, Brockunier.  His reply:
Wheeling Peachblow. In the following paragraph when I say Hobbs, I mean Hobbs, Brockunier & Co. Hobbs made a color they called Coral starting in the late fall of 1885. It was Amberina cased over opal. In March, 1886 the Morgan Vase was sold at auction for $18,000 and Hobbs started frosting and wholesaling these vases to retail for $1.00 each. They called the frosted Coral Peachblow. I do not know who started calling it Wheeling Peachblow. It’s at best redundant. Other companies made similar colors, notably Phœnix, who made a whole range of color shaded to clear cased over opal. However, Phœnix’s version was not struck, but partially cased. A ruby example of this would be called Wheeling Drape. See Shuman page 126, lower left. Yes, it’s miss identified there.  Only Hobbs, Brockunier made their Peachblow, its successor, Hobbs Glass Co. did not make it.

Hobbs also did not make the brides bowl under discussion. While Hobbs, or rather Leighton had a patent on a mechanical crimp, most of their crimps are pretty basic.

Phoenix is a company I lately realized was a good candidate for the bride's bowl, but I didn't know enough about them to suggest it.  There's a photo in Shuman showing some rose bowls with enamel work very similar to that on this piece (labelled in the caption Consolidated, but who knows it that's right?!).  I had noticed that the Wheeling Drape pitcher Tom mentioned has coloration fairly close to that of the bowl, and the liner seems more similar than the Hobbs, Brockunier one.  I'm glad he told me about it being mislabelled because it didn't seem to fit with the Hobbs peach blow examples.

I don't have any references for Phoenix or Consolidated...anyone else?
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 11:35:33 PM »
Looking through PK I found this catalog http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/archiv/pdf/pk-2007-3w-05-mb-markhbeinn-1927-leuchten.pdf and it has a shade in it, pictured, that reminded me of this bowl.  I just thought I would share the "look alike". 

Mod: Pic removed, copyright violation. Please follow the link for picture - p. 6, fourth row, second from left.
Janice, Deco Queen
"The Fabulous World of Farberware" available at Amazon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand