Author Topic: Two Amber Glass Lamps. (Mould Blown)  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Gilead

• Members
Two Amber Glass Lamps. (Mould Blown)
« on: June 03, 2008, 07:04:43 PM »
Evening.
           Today i purchased these two caged glass lamps can anyone please help me with how and when thease may have been made please, from the fitting i am guessing 50s but dont know anything about lamps, i intend to put these up on the wall over the decking area i am in the process of doing, think they will had a nice ambiance to the area.

would these have been blown in a mould with the cage already in ? am a bit worried about taking the cage of and not getting it back on as they need to be rewired,
                         cheers
                           Steve

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Two Amber Glass Lamps. (Mould Blown)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 07:25:34 PM »
Nazeing and Whitefriars made similar

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 08:21:49 PM »
Hi johnphillip.
                 any idea how i can tell the difference please or is this one of the mysteries of life  ;D am going to attempt to take them a part later hoping to rewire them so will have to keep off the wine  ::)
                                                                               steve

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 09:31:40 PM »
managed to get the tops off not going to be that hard to rewire after all  :hiclp:, so a quick project tomorrow for me.
                                                                                                                                                          Steve

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 09:54:02 PM »
As this style of lamp was/is blown into the cage.  I wonder how they got the pattern in the glass?   :huh:

I am not a man

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 10:06:15 PM »
I will dig out the Nazeing book in the morning and then ask Ray Annenberg about the W/Fs ones,i did have a chat with Ray about these a few years back when we saw some of the W/Fs in an antique shop.I believe we have a Nazeing contact on the forum.JP

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 10:10:28 PM »
Hi Max.
           A question i was asking myself and thought they must have had the cage in the mould when they were blown but then i thought would'nt the glass have gone round the cage and been stuck.

Hopefully some one maybe able to explain this ? have looked high and low for these on the web under both Nazeing and Whitefrars but to no avail.
        Steve

PS thank you johnphillip appreciated, crossed as i was typing my reply to Max.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 10:24:41 PM »
Hi again Steve, i think the reason you cant find any on the net is probably very few people know what they are the ones i saw with Ray about ten years ago are still in the same shop or they were two weeks ago four of them just described as hanging lamp shades.

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 10:37:56 PM »
johnphillip.
              That is interesting to know i wonder if they are of the same make four you say i could always put six up instead of two ;D, but may make the place look like an Xmas tree then?
                                                      cheers
                                                      steve

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 10:49:23 PM »
The pattern would have come from a dip mould prior to blowing in the cage. These don't look like Nazeing ones, metalwork is a bit coarse. Can you add some details of the top fitting, I can see the bulb holder is a replacement but the metal will date them if it is original. A lot of companies made this and Nazeing started in the 30's but earlier is possible too, for other makers.
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand