No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help needed small posy vase upturned downturned rim - ID = Sowerby  (Read 2085 times)

Offline bungie60

• Members
Small blue posy vase with rim one side up the other down painted flowers similar to what i have seen on Bagley and Davidson products size 7 1/4" diameter 3" high, frog 7 holes 2 1/2" diameter 1 1/4" high, 5 little dimples base. Any help would me most appreciated and thanks in anticipation

Offline bungie60

• Members
Found the answer bagley runcorn pattern design number 3218 in production from 1959/75 follow link

http://www.wakefieldmuseumcollections.org.uk/index.asp?page=item&filename=bagley.mdf&itemId=WAKGMP%20:%20P2001.369

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Maybe, except a photo from Pottery Gazette & Glass Trade Review in 1959 shows the rim upturned in four places on the 3218. See Bagley Glass, Bowey and Parsons p 89

Offline bungie60

• Members
Don't know what to say now Christine could it be a later version or could the museum have got it wrong "confused". Hope you don't take it the wrong way i value all the help i have received so far from you and others thanks Mark

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Museums don't always have it right. It could be Bagley; it could that the design was modified and the same number was used (they did that!), but I wouldn't date yours or the museum's piece to any newer than early 1960s because of the floral trim. Why don't you contact the museum and ask them how they arrived at that attribution. I think Wakefield is one of the helpful museums.

It is also possible, I suppose, that it was made specially for Woolworths, or somewhere, by Bagley. And I have just realised that you have gilding. Gold-trimmed Bagley is uncommon, I was going to say I hadn't seen any, but I have seen a gold-trimmed Carnival fruit set (or part thereof).

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Quote from: Lustrousstone
...   I think Wakefield is one of the helpful museums.   ...

Pontefract Museum, one of the Wakefield Museums.   See here.   Only 1160 images to check!

BTW that floral transfer I'm sure is Bagley.   I can't lay my hands on a Bagley flower block at present — still clearing up after the builders — so what inscription, if any, is on the base of the block?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Ignore my previous suggested attribution, I was wrong.   I've just been looking at its twin, same colour, tricorn rim, exactly the same transfers, worn gilding, in a local charity shop, and it's quite definitely Sowerby.   The block is the distinctive one you find in the small 2614 elephant bowl and many other Sowerby posy patterns.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline bungie60

• Members
Sorry bit late replying but thanks for the info, so we can say its sowerby then must contact wakefield though as suggested.Once again thanks to all

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand