No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Reg Design 826790, March 1938  (Read 7616 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Reg Design 826790, March 1938
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 01:57:52 PM »
I received a reply, but they don't have records. He suggested a visit to the National Archives at Kew. The reference number needed would be BT53/104, although this is a general number not a specific one

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 03:38:04 PM »
Perhaps we need a sticky thread somewhere for listing questions to answered via Kew (or other archives) with brief detail and links back to the threads. There have been a few such questions vanished into the nether regios.

Then when some one does make a trip they could take the list with them perhaps. High time the entire archive was digitised anyway!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 04:17:53 PM »
Frank that is a sensible suggestion. Leave it with me.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 11:13:14 PM »
Angela is here with me and says she has a copy of the above registration document from Kew and it has no more information in it than the name F J Cleveland. (If it had she'd have included it in the book. :)) Hope this helps. 

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 06:30:24 AM »
Not really  ;D If Angela knows that Cleveland was used as an agent by Bagley during that period, we could perhaps say possibly made by Bagley on the basis of similarities with the other dishes. At least we do know it wasn't make by Cleveland! Somebody must have made a pig's ear of the form filling!!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 08:38:18 AM »
Curious to know was this thistle dish ever confirmed as by Bagley please?  - I've seen it has Bagley in the header but what was the definitive for it?  I didn't see that in the thread.

I have one and was astonished to see information here on it - one of those things that's lain in a box.
thanks
m

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 04:16:04 PM »
I've just reviewed this topic M, and checked with Bagley Glass, 3rd edition, and there's still no firm confirmation, so this ID needs amending, which I'll do now. Angela says in the 3rd edition, "probably not made by Bagley."

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 09:28:22 PM »
Hi Anne, thanks for the extra info.  I just happened to be looking at this and realised it had a reg no on - never knew they existed until recently- so thought I'd check it out and lo and behold it was already on here :)
m

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 03:24:22 PM »
I've just picked one of these thistle design dishes up too and, whilst checking it out on the board, saw that Fred has asked another question about a design with the immediately previous number (826789) and the same thistle pattern on the base, but in a different shape dish: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,48874.0.html

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 05:45:32 PM »
I now have additional information from the Registers and Representations at Kew, and intend to add them here - maybe it's the Board's intention to delete each 'Look Up' note as and when information is added to the original post - thus completing the Look Up reminder, which could then be deleted.

You'll remember that Rd. No. 826790 has been linked with 826789, and when opening the Register at Kew I discovered that both numbers were registered simultaneously on 9th March 1938, as CLASS 4.             The correct Register reference at Kew is BT 53/75 and the Representations reference is BT 52/2186 - each covering both registrations.

I won't bang on and repeat the written details - as hopefully they're legible in my pix  -  with one exception, and that's the duff pix of the 'Perspective View From Underneath' of the Star shape of Rd. 826789.         Forgot to check the quality of the photograph before I left Kew, although it seems that the design/shape etc. of the thistle is identical on both registrations, so don't think there's a problem.            I can of course, re-take this pic on my next trip if anyone feels it's essential. 

The Registrant appears to be a Henry Dresel with F. J. Cleveland as his agent  -  and from what Angela is saying, it seems that TNA may have short-changed when supplying information some while back - it seems they didn't make the full details clear - I really don't know why, but it goes to prove perhaps that for safeties sake a personal visit is best.

You'll see that the full Register entry is shown on a single pic, but as the writing is a tad small I've included two further pix which are simply repeats of the single image but broken in two and at a higher magnification - hopefully those of us who are short sighted will find all of the text legible ;)

I won't comment further, and hope that this will enable the Bagley experts to now resolve some of the confusion regarding these thistle dishes.            If anything is unclear, please let me know. 
Pictures 4 and 7 are of identical wording - except that the Rd. No. on each is different - not sure exactly quite what the wording is implying, but sure someone here will know.    I nearly missed seeing these words - they were on the reverse of the page.            I think there are a total of 11 pictures.

P.S.   I also have information for some of the other 'Look Up' requests, and will add those later this week, hopefully.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand