Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

Gilded and engraved finger bowl with chesnuts

(1/3) > >>

Lustrousstone:
This is finger bowl (at least I assume it's a finger bowl) is really pretty, the glass and the blowing aren't top quality, but the engraving is lovely with matte and semi matte finishing to add shine and depth to the leaves and chestnuts.

Five repeats of a spray with two leaves and three chestnuts. The gilding is interior to highlight four rings (two above and two below) encasing tiny olive cuts. I have three of these, one in noticeably thicker glass than the rest)

4.25 in (11 cm diameter) and 1.25 in (3 cm) deep.

Who, what, where and when would be nice please

Lustrousstone:
Just talking to myself again... ::)

Leni:
Can I just annoy people by posting to say nothing about this except that I love it and I think it's very pretty indeed!?  >:D  ;)   

krsilber:
It is indeed pretty!  Tough one to ID though, IMO.  Probably Bohemian/Czech is my guess; the style of engraving is very typical.  Is there evidence of any gold left in the cutting?  The engraving could also be American, in which case I would think it's Hawkes since few engraved pieces of the ABP were gilt in any way (with the exception of the occasional Dorflinger piece decorated by Honesdale) and other decorators after the ABP were unlikely to partially polish their designs.

On the other hand, could be French, Belgian or English and I'm simply not aware that work like this was done in those countries.  But I know for certain that the style of engraving was done extensively in Bohemia.

Ivo:

--- Quote from: krsilber on June 17, 2008, 05:10:07 PM --- could be French, Belgian or English and I'm simply not aware that work like this was done in those countries
--- End quote ---

so why mention it? And why skip Germany, Austria, Poland, Hungary, Portugal, Italy and Spain?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version