Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

Gilded and engraved finger bowl with chesnuts

<< < (2/3) > >>

Lustrousstone:
OK, so could be from anywhere. The only gilding is inside the bowl, not over the rim pattern. No gilding on the chestnuts. As I said the chestnuts and large leaves have been highlighted by lightly polishing in places to give a natural leaf/chestnut sheen.

Any thoughts about when, mid 19th C or earlier?

krsilber:

--- Quote from: Ivo on June 17, 2008, 06:40:51 PM ---
--- Quote from: krsilber on June 17, 2008, 05:10:07 PM --- could be French, Belgian or English and I'm simply not aware that work like this was done in those countries
--- End quote ---

so why mention it? And why skip Germany, Austria, Poland, Hungary, Portugal, Italy and Spain?

--- End quote ---

Germany and Austria are (unlikely) possibilities, but I highly doubt it was done in any of the other countries Ivo mentions.  French and English are somewhat more likely because of the variety of engraving done there, but I know of no examples that are in this particular style.  I don't know why I said Belgian - it was an afterthought.

I'd say early-mid 20th C.

Lustrousstone:
I don't think they are that "new", the quality of the engraving is far superior to the quality of the glass blowing and did anyone use finger bowls in the 1950s?

Frank:
Yes, even in lower middle class homes like ours. I can remember then until at least the 1960s before they disappeared apart from fish restaurants.

Lustrousstone:
Oh, well you was posh then. I'm a working class pleb and never saw a finger bowl until I started going to Chinese restaurants in the 1970s.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version