Glass Discussion & Research. No ID requests here please. > Murano & Italy Glass

Barbini? Toso? Italian? I dont' know!

<< < (2/4) > >>

lenore:
Just wondering as I am trying to learn more; but, is the flat polished base on this piece more typical of Archimede Seguso than other Murano glassworks?
Thanks,
Lenore 8)

chuggy:
Certainly in my experience the vast majority of the Archimede Seguso pieces I've had over the years have had that type of base.
Paul

lenore:
Thanks, Paul! That bit of info will surely help. You are the best! :P
In fact we came across a horse's head in black & white opaque glass but decided not to purchase it as it seemed pretty pricey. It had the smooth flat base. And, we did see an angel figurine w/her two arms extended w/her hands being candleholders. And, she had bright red lips! But she too had this type bottom. See, I learned some valuable info here again! THANKS!

svazzo:

--- Quote from: "lenore" ---Just wondering as I am trying to learn more; but, is the flat polished base on this piece more typical of Archimede Seguso than other Murano glassworks?
Thanks,
Lenore 8)
--- End quote ---

Hi Lenore and Paul,
Please do not take the fact that the pieces have polished bases as an attribution to Seguso. Almost every Italian Artist has polished bases. It is not a significant fact in attribution to 1 or the other. We can go down the list of Italian artists if we went with just polished pontils. Techniques is what really separate the designers.
Also the pieces do look like Seguso, but Barbini also made the same color combination.  
Thanks!
Javier

chuggy:
I quite agree Javier and whilst most Archimede Seguso work has polished bases, most polished bases aren't necessarily Seguso.
Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version