No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Barbini? Toso? Italian? I dont' know!  (Read 7473 times)

Offline CathyG

• Members
Barbini? Toso? Italian? I dont' know!
« on: August 09, 2005, 08:47:08 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I found these two decanters (perfume?) not sure what they are. They are 7 3/4" tall and are 14 1/2" in circumference. Very heavy and the color is a light aqua and amber, ground stoppers. They have age ware on the bottom and need to be cleaned, quite a bit of dust in the ribs. I just thought they were pretty. Any help would be appreciated. I didn't know if I should put them here or on the glass board, so I'll try here first.

CathyG

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/glasie55/perfumebottles002.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/glasie55/groundstoppers.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/glasie55/bottom.jpg
Cathy G
www.glasslanding.com
A Source for Mid Century Art Glass
Lots of Blenko!

Connie

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 09:01:29 PM »
CathyG - I haven't clue about the maker but as someone else around here says ...

I want, I want, I want!!!  :lol:

Offline chuggy

• Members
perfume decanters
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 09:37:45 PM »
Look very much like Archimede Seguso as I've had a very large signed ewer  and also a signed large decanter in exactly the same colour combination. also the lobes in the body are very Seguso in design.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline CathyG

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 09:44:12 PM »
Thanks Paul! Seguso... LOL see I really don't know squat about Italian, I keep getting confused as to the makers. I think I need a class in it!!! LOL
Cathy G
www.glasslanding.com
A Source for Mid Century Art Glass
Lots of Blenko!

Offline chuggy

• Members
decanters
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 09:48:16 PM »
Believe me Cathy I have similar problems with American glass, trouble is with the exception of Carnival pieces just don't see enough of it.  With all the information in the world it's still easy to get things wrong which is why I find these forums such a great market place of information.
Paul

Offline lenore

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 09:58:27 PM »
Just wondering as I am trying to learn more; but, is the flat polished base on this piece more typical of Archimede Seguso than other Murano glassworks?
Thanks,
Lenore 8)

Offline chuggy

• Members
decanters
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 10:02:25 PM »
Certainly in my experience the vast majority of the Archimede Seguso pieces I've had over the years have had that type of base.
Paul

Offline lenore

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 10:04:30 PM »
Thanks, Paul! That bit of info will surely help. You are the best! :P
In fact we came across a horse's head in black & white opaque glass but decided not to purchase it as it seemed pretty pricey. It had the smooth flat base. And, we did see an angel figurine w/her two arms extended w/her hands being candleholders. And, she had bright red lips! But she too had this type bottom. See, I learned some valuable info here again! THANKS!

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 02:09:27 AM »
Quote from: "lenore"
Just wondering as I am trying to learn more; but, is the flat polished base on this piece more typical of Archimede Seguso than other Murano glassworks?
Thanks,
Lenore 8)

Hi Lenore and Paul,
Please do not take the fact that the pieces have polished bases as an attribution to Seguso. Almost every Italian Artist has polished bases. It is not a significant fact in attribution to 1 or the other. We can go down the list of Italian artists if we went with just polished pontils. Techniques is what really separate the designers.
Also the pieces do look like Seguso, but Barbini also made the same color combination.  
Thanks!
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
decanters
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 07:24:45 AM »
I quite agree Javier and whilst most Archimede Seguso work has polished bases, most polished bases aren't necessarily Seguso.
Paul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand