No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Barbini? Toso? Italian? I dont' know!  (Read 7480 times)

Offline CathyG

• Members
Barbini? Toso? Italian? I dont' know!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 11:43:34 AM »
Javier and Paul,

Thanks for the lesson on bottoms. It seems to me that that's probably true for most companies. I know we get a lot of people under the assumption that if it has a rough pontil it's Blenko. But Blenko finished the piece in the fashion it needed to be, becasue of the design or because they had the man power and time to do it.

Can I ask what these may be worth today? I really don't have any idea of value for Italian, I paid $41.00 a piece for them.

Thanks!
CathyG
Cathy G
www.glasslanding.com
A Source for Mid Century Art Glass
Lots of Blenko!

Offline chuggy

• Members
decanters
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 12:13:58 PM »
Hi Cathy
In the UK, I would expect to pay around £60 - £70 each for these without any labels or signatures.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline CathyG

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 01:59:04 PM »
Thanks Paul! I'm not selling them, but I like to know a ballpark as to value. Your replies are much appreciated.

CathyG
Cathy G
www.glasslanding.com
Lots of Blenko!

Offline tmaritta

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 09:44:32 PM »
Cathy,

Very nice decanters/parfum bottles indeed!   I have two vases very similar in design if not in colour and when I queried about them here on the Glass Message Board, the suggestion was that they were by Seguso Vetri d'Arte.  Based on this advice I found this link on the net:

http://www.von-zezschwitz.de/onlinecatalog.php?id=19&chapter=16&page=4

Can somebody enlighten me what is the difference between Archimede Seguso and Seguso Vetri d'Arte?  I would imagine AS was the 'master' designer and SVd'A was formed by a group of designers taught(?) by the master.  Of course, this is just my uneducated guess. :?

Regards,
TMaritta

Offline CathyG

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 11:34:22 AM »
Thanks tmaritta!

Yes, I too would also like to know the difference.

CathyG
Cathy G
www.glasslanding.com
Lots of Blenko!

Offline chuggy

• Members
decanters
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2005, 08:48:20 PM »
OK lets have a crack on the Seguso backgrounds, the following is how I understand it historically, but I do stand to be corrected.
 The historic origins of Seguso Vetri d'Arte go back to 1933 and a company called Artistica Vetraria e Soffieria Barovier Seguso e Ferro which was founded by Napoleone Barovier, Luigi Ferro, Antonio Seguso and his 3 sons, Archimede, Alberto and Ernesto. The first master glass blower for the company was Archimede Seguso. From 1934-1963 Flavio Poli served as the firms artistic director. Luigo Ferro left the firm I believe in 1937 and it is from this date that the Seguso Vetri d'Arte name came into being until the company closed in 1973. It then under went a couple of changes in ownership before re establishing the Seguso Vetri d'Arte name in 1978 until it's final sale to Cenedese in 1992.

Archimede Seguso left S V d'A in 1942 and established his own firm after the war in 1945 with Andrea Barbini, and in 1947 it was called Vetreria Archimede Seguso, and this was the vehicle for his work with others right through until his death.

I have loads more info on both but I hope that answers at least some of the basic questions.

Paul

Offline tmaritta

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2005, 12:08:13 PM »
Thank you Paul for the information!  

Would you say that the vase in my link is correctly attributed to Seguso Vetri d'Arte or do you rather think it is by Archimede Seguso?  Obviously with no sticker or signature, misattributions are always posible.

Many thanks,
TMaritta

Offline CathyG

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2005, 12:22:30 PM »
Thanks Paul! Great information I can print off and put with my Italian books.

CathyG
Cathy G
www.glasslanding.com
Lots of Blenko!

Offline chuggy

• Members
seguso
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2005, 07:38:02 PM »
The vase could well be correctly attributed, but I would favour Archimede personally, though the influence of Flavio Poli is clear. There was a strong cross pollination of styles, particularly in the first decade after the war.
Paul

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2005, 09:47:44 PM »
Hi Paul,
I agree with you that the perfume bottles aren't Seguso Vetri d'Arte (30's - 40's), but the vintage 50's 60's pieces. Looking at otehr samples I think I will retract my first thought of Barbini and say they would be more consitant with the Seguso ribbed pieces.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand