No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: amberina - ID = Legras  (Read 8869 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: amberina vase
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 01:13:59 PM »
if you read the page well it says posy vases and that's exactly what they are.

Actually, that text refers to the range which also includes vases titled "Posy" but those particular shapes are called "Bulb" vases and with UK consumer law/trade descriptions etc. they would need to be fit for that purpose. Unfortunately, Caithness chose not to list the sizes. So one has to assume that they would be effective as bulb vases and sized appropriately. But thanks for making me read the text I had a couple of typos there, now corrected.

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 07:35:30 PM »
the shape looks similar, but I don't see it as being a unique shape type. it looks like a very common shape type. the thing about this vase that makes it very hard for me to think it's old and French is that the amberina colouring is all wrong for turn of the century. It does match colours that were in common use in the mid century though.

(btw, no animosity from me. Just stating an opinion :) )

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 06:16:33 AM »
Two vases from the extensive Johansson collection in Berlin. The one on the left is depicted in the 1897 Vilmorin catalogue and was made by Legras;  the one on the right is from the same mould. Height, weight and diameter are identical.  Obviously the colours are different; the first one was made, cooled, enameled, fused, annealed and then struck at the glory hole. The second was made, annealed and struck - so less temperature change. The final "strike" operation in which the colour changes from transparent amber to dark red is difficult to control, hence the colour gradient varies per piece.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 08:39:30 AM »
Four bulb vases circa 1910 from the collection of Museum The Black Tulip in Lisse. The triangular one is by Baccarat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand