No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help! Whitefriars Tangerine bark Efect vase ( Or Fake)  (Read 12668 times)

Offline Gilead

• Members
Re: Help! Whitefriars Tangerine bark Efect vase ( Or Fake)
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 02:00:58 AM »
Hi.
    How do you stand if you bought this from ebay as i did but it was listed as Whitefriars then turned out not to be,  do i put it down to my bad judgement or can i get some sought of rebuff. have emailed the person but they just seem to be rude i explained that the vase was listed as Whitefriars bark effect but had a ? after it, i thought if you was not sure about it being WF you should not list as maybe, or am i wrong.

Shame as i bought 16 piece's this last 10 days and only this one as been trouble suppose live and learn Hey! they must think they a wrong because i was offered a small discount, which i refused and said i would like the whole sum less the cost of postage to and back to them, but since have been blanked no answer.
                                            Steve.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 06:20:07 AM »
You have to put it down to your inexperience I'm afraid. Whitefriars is a much misused word on ebay, so unless you KNOW, don't buy. The ? should have been a clue, and probably the low price. I would guess 90% of the items with the word Whitefriars in the listing aren't, but it's a good way of getting people's attention. As they say "buyer beware". All I can say is browse the two Whitefriars sites and the catalogues till you're dizzy and buy the book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 10:36:16 AM »
Christine.
            Thanks thought as much but did send the seller some questions and he was quite sure of the vase but think he was just covering his self with ? can you please state which book please.
                                                                    Steve

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 11:39:43 AM »
There are two books  (1) Whitefriars Glass by Lesley Jackson  cost about £25 sometimes on ebay in the Whitefriars glass section or from Amazon
(2)  The Museum of London book now out of print but which can be seen on ebay from time to time anything from £100 - £300.

BUT  neither of them cover everything, especially the smaller items you are most  likely to find here and there.  There is absolutely no  better way to learn about Whitefriars than browsing the catalogues until you go nearly BLIND, on either www.whitefriars.com or  www.whitefriars.org., both sites dedicated to only Whitefriars glass and with good forums.   Emmi

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 09:27:42 PM »
Emmi.
        Will do i dont intend to be caught again been in touch with this seller and his reply was sorry but i wish you luck in the future, ;D but anyway can any one say what this vase is i can tell you this it is as light as a match, and is on its way to the boxes in the shed :'(.
                                                                                                                                                                                Steve

PS wished it had been like this one i bought,

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 11:34:51 PM »
My rule of thumb is to simply never trust ebay attributions unless a piece is marked or a solid reference is provided.  There are far too many pieces misidentified to use ebay as a reliable source of information.  Sometimes that's because sellers are dishonest, often it's just because they don't know better.  I think I've probably unknowingly sold a piece or two in my time that was misidentified.  Glass is like that.  Humans are like that - they err!  Even well-researched books have errors. 

It's sellers who consistently list misidentified pieces and don't respond to corrections that are in my opinion the really bad ones.  There's one that really gets under my skin by saying he/she "guarantees" the information provided, when it's obviously wrong.  But since ebay is so full of accidentally misidentified glass, there's little the ebay Powers That Be can do to address the issue.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »
Your tangerine vase looks more like the WF Totem vase, number 9671, than bark effect, Steve!   However, I'm not sure it's the right colour.  Is it cased? 

On second thoughts, I think it's not the right squiggles either.  Totem has an almost Greek Key design.  But this one is certainly similar enough to fool the inexperienced  (like you & me, eh?  ;) )
Leni

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 03:53:21 PM »
You are right to have second thoughts,Leni, the Totem vases are VERY different,not square, taper in slightly at the top and are QUALITY GLASS ..... see here
http://www.whitefriarsorg.org/memb1/profile_page_9671-prices.htm

Emmi

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 04:19:57 PM »
Steve, if you paid by PayPal you can open a SNAD dispute (significantly not as described) and if PayPal find in your favour you'll get the purchase and postage costs back but will have to return it to the seller at your own cost.  The ? used in any eBay title is reportable - you're not allowed to list items with a ? - something either is or isn't in eBay's book so it would also be in your best interests to mention that it was listed in this way if you raise a SNAD (I've never raised one of these disputes so I'm not entirely sure if you raise it with eBay or directly with PayPal but you'll get lots of help on the eBay forums if you ask how to go about it or perhaps someone else here knows). I'd recommend you doing this though, it'll be a very good education for the seller and might make him/her think twice before making half-baked attributions then shying away from their responsibility as a seller.

As others have said with regard to Whitefriars on eBay - it's a minefield and one needs to be VERY sure you know what something is yourself before you buy it - I never rely purely on the information given by the seller - if in any doubt don't bid.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 04:42:51 PM »
You are right to have second thoughts,Leni, the Totem vases are VERY different,not square, taper in slightly at the top and are QUALITY GLASS ..... see here
http://www.whitefriarsorg.org/memb1/profile_page_9671-prices.htm

Emmi

Absolutely lovely, Emmi!  Definitely quality!  :clap: 

I just meant to point out that someone who had never seen the real thing would be more likely to mistake Steve's vase for a Totem than a Bark.  Perhaps the seller had seen a picture of a Totem and thought this one looked like it, so decided it was WF?  :-\  It's more likely than mistaking it for a Bark!  I've never seen a real Totem, only photographs, and not all are as good pictures as the beauties in your link!  I didn't even realise they weren't square!  (The 'textured' WF isn't really my thing, I'm afraid  :-[ Is that heretical of me? ;)

I agree with Pip that you should definitely open a dispute, Steve.  Go for it! 
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand