No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Decided My Choice Of Collecting. (Whitefriars)  (Read 7199 times)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Re: Decided My Choice Of Collecting. (Whitefriars)
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 09:41:42 AM »
Leni is right.............there are well documented fakes out there in the Bricklayer range.  On the home page of www.whitefriars.com there is an article about them.   Do read it!!!!  Emmi

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 11:21:39 AM »
Not to mention the Onion and Hooped vase fakes that recently turned up...

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 04:31:21 PM »
Emmi & Nic.
                  Yes Emmi that's what i am a bit afraid of getting a dud? but will study more first.
Nic funny you mention the Hooped ones because at the moment i am tracking one, not bid yet but am waiting in the wings, to see what it gets up to, in the mean time i got my second Haul today,and have 10 more on the way. some photos here.
                                                                                                                                       Cheers
                                                                                                                                        Steve

PS The tear drops are looking nice got some more colours coming.

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 06:41:33 PM »
Hi Steve, This is the stuff you should be devoting your efforts toward........... ( read the comments )
http://www.whitefriars.com/isit_contents.php?ID=5668

All best wishes,
               Patrick.

Offline PAUL H

• Members
    • GREAT RETRO GLASS
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 06:59:37 PM »
Hi Steve.. What do you do for a living and are there any jobs going.  :mrgreen: Paul.
GREAT RETRO GLASS

Classic 20th Century Design

www.greatretroglass.com

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 08:56:24 PM »
HI Paul.
           Retired bulider :hiclp: and my knee's are shot from bending, so not greatest job to have, cold wind rain snow, shivering thinking about it,
     Steve

Offline PAUL H

• Members
    • GREAT RETRO GLASS
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 06:39:23 AM »
Good luck with your wf collecting Steve. Paul.
GREAT RETRO GLASS

Classic 20th Century Design

www.greatretroglass.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 07:19:18 AM »
Hi Steve, This is the stuff you should be devoting your efforts toward........... ( read the comments )
http://www.whitefriars.com/isit_contents.php?ID=5668

All best wishes,
               Patrick.

Why?  Just because it's rare or valuable?  I like a lot of WF but I don't like that so regardless of it's value it wouldn't make it's way into my collection.  Steve, stick to what you like and you can't really go wrong.

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 08:54:14 AM »
Hi Pip,
On reflection my comments were a bit negative. I was probably trying to say that I find the Whitefriars of the 1930-40 period much more pleasing. I cherish any finds not for there value but to see the skill of the glassblowers that were not driven by the need to ' Churn it out for the masses ' as in the 60's 70's.
Steve, My comment has probably irked you as well as Pip and I apologise. Good luck. Patrick.   

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 09:04:10 AM »
All fair comment, but I think everyone is very impressed with your enthusiasm, Steve, and I think that what Patrick was trying to point out is that once you start investigating Whitefriars there is a wealth of history and a huge layer of interesting glass that is often overlooked. This means that what most people think of as Whitefriars is only a small part of the factory's output over the centuries.  :)
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand