No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Badge Weight Study - Ysart or not?  (Read 14560 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Badge Weight Study - Ysart or not?
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 11:36:31 AM »
Any possible data, when there is sufficient, has its uses. The parameters are best kept as wide as possible when starting a study and the value of the data assessed during a later stage. If we ever get to hundreds of weights, it is likely some will contain identical badges - in such cases SG may potentially have some additional value. Of course there can also be unreliability in other measurement too as all the data will be from different people. It is not hard science just an attempt to get as much data as possible in order to try and fine some consistencies that will help in making an assessment of this type of weight. The results are not predictable.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 01:15:44 PM »

Another badge weight has appeared for sale. (I see the locomotive was relisted for some reason).

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 02:28:35 PM »

Another badge weight has appeared for sale. (I see the locomotive was relisted for some reason).

Alan

he/she say's A slight scuff but looks like a large crack
cheers Ray

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 09:07:56 PM »

Here's another badge weight. It has a flat to stand it on, like some Ysart ones.

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 09:58:16 PM »
we might be getting somewhere now, all the one's i've had with one faccet so it can stand, have had the gold'ish coloured badge, the one's without the faccet are just like the normal white sulphide, could this be a clue or not?
cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 10:58:42 PM »
Ray - those are interesting thoughts. But I would suggest caution in drawing any conclusions until many more have been studied.

And that also applies to my comment below ...

Something I noticed with the eBay one that Alan has linked to today ... the edge grinding looks coarser than the base grinding. Could this be a trick of the light? Or a feature of the angle of the photo? Or could it be an indication that some of these weights have been edge-ground much later than the original making????
KevinH

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 10:35:44 AM »

Here are images of a pedestal badge weight I sold a couple of years ago - it was a coppery-gold colour. The top edge has a rough pontil mark - I think that sometimes gets ground smooth = and I think the stem is often snapped off. I have seen more than one badge weight with ground flats on two edges.

Frank - Do you want higher resolution images for your study, given I don't have much other info? I may have sizes somewhere!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 10:46:21 AM »
Yes please, contributions are slow and mine is packed away. All the views you have and I can include details from large images too.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 04:14:46 PM »

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 01:36:46 PM »
And another with a ground base.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370077643687

Salvation Army one added to SG