No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Seeking reference source on CARL REHM glass (Germany)  (Read 6426 times)

Offline Michael Krumme

• Members
Seeking reference source on CARL REHM glass (Germany)
« on: June 17, 2008, 05:07:52 AM »
Hello,

I have a large, thick and heavy vase that is a deep rich cobalt blue.  It is footed, with a stepped base, and is a flattened four-lobe type shape.  It stands about 10-1/2 to 11 inches tall, and is unsigned.  I have also seen a much smaller version of this vase in the same color, perhaps 5 inches tall at most.  I always suspected that it was a European piece; now, for the reason below, I'm sure of it.

Whilst visiting a friend in San Francisco this weekend, I saw that he had the smaller footed vase in a very unusual green color.  It was signed on the underside of the foot, CARL REHM.  It had a polished cutting on the outer lobes.

I see that there is a large cobalt blue goblet-style vase signed Carl Rehm on eBay at the moment.  The photo of the mark is identical to the mark that appeared on my friend's green piece.  But Googling the name has yielded no further information.  Can anyone tell me of a book or website which tells more about this kind of glass, in the hopes that I can confirm the origin of my vase?

I don't have a photo of it just now, but can try to post one as soon as possible.

Thanks for any leads you may be kind enough to provide.

Best regards,

Michael Krumme
Los Angeles, California, USA

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Seeking reference source on CARL REHM glass (Germany)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 06:33:09 AM »
Carl Rehm born 20.4.1890 in München; landschape painter & designer worked in glass (Theresienthaler Krystallmanufaktur Egon von Poschinger circa 1920) and porcelain (Hutschenreiter ca. 1925) .  He counts as one of the important German designers of the 1920s.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 06:34:14 AM »
Welcome to the board
I wonder whether Carl Rehm is German, given that the three pieces you know about all all in the USA. It's a Germanic name but the ebay seller gives no source of her information and the mark looks remarkably modern. I could be completely wrong but those were my initial thoughts. Please post some photos of your piece, including a close up of the signature. maybe somebody can help rather than just me waffling on.

Here's the ebay link

See I told you somebody might know, but I'll leave my waffle  ;D

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 11:00:56 AM »
there are quite a few Rehm pieces around on German sites, the guy is well documented.

Offline Michael Krumme

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 10:30:48 PM »
At last!  A good picture of the vase in question.

Michael

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 07:38:16 AM »
The mark (without frame) and Carl Rehm are mentioned in Hartmann, as a designer in the Bayerische Wald (Glassmaking region close to Czechoslovakia.) but only two lines. Ivo gives more above.

Hartmann also gives Karl as an alternate spelling but I think Karl Rehm was a different person working for Schott as a chemist.

Offline Michael Krumme

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 04:05:52 PM »
Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for your input, it is very much appreciated.

I've been enthusiastically collecting American glass (Depression and elegant) for over 30 years, and have several hundred glass reference books in my library, but my knowledge about European (and other) glass is skeletal at best, so I appreciate all the help.

This is a lovely piece that I'm quite proud of, and I am glad to learn more about it.

Sincerely,

Michael

Sklounion

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 08:34:53 PM »
Michael,
You might consider asking the von Poschinger family for more information regarding Rehm.
http://www.poschinger.de/englisch_neu/index.htm
Regards,
Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand