No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Modern Basket Vase  (Read 3927 times)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Modern Basket Vase
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 01:04:55 AM »
I'd call the green in Shannon's basket the typical Murano green of the period, whereas the green in the piece from Charles I've seen more in Maastricht and Kosta. The handle is somewhat similar but the foot is different, I think. And, OK, twist my arm and I'll say that the JI basket isn't too bad looking.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 07:27:43 PM »
OK, so the basket I posted isn't actually anything like Charles'. It is nice though, isn't it?  8) The molded foot on Charles' piece is also very much like many of the J.I. pieces I've seen. I swear I've seen this particular form for before, but I must not have saved a photo. Wish I could find it again...
Shannon

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 07:42:55 PM »
I'm convinced it's Jordan Importing (J.I.) based on the composite of these postings, and especially pictures from the J.I. website, some pieces of which I own and which compare favorably to the basket in terms of production quality.  This however leaves unanswered the question of "who or what is J.I.?"  Information from the net is somewhat confusing, describing the company as both and importer and designer of glass produced in Murano.  It would be nice to know with whom they contracted (e.g., Fratelli Toso), but it seems that nobody knows.

Over the years, pieces I've seen with the J.I. label tended to be fairly mediocre and "generic" in terms of design qualities, but very good to excellent technique-wise.  In my opinion.
Charles.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 08:48:39 PM »

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 12:31:28 AM »
I know that the owner, Jack Blanco, designed much of the glass, but it's obvious that they also imported the glass of other glass houses on Murano. Definitely from Fratelli Toso (their paperweights appear in a J.I. catalog), and others I suspect as well. Many of the J.I. clowns are thought to be Seguso, and then there are some really fine items, for example:

http://www.bravurastyle.com/glass27.htm

There's a single seahorse as well, one of which recently sold on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250253997425

These both appear in one of my J.I. catalogs, along with some fine looking glass including Venetian figurines and blackamoors, and some really pedestrian looking glass as well. The catalog seems to reveal a wide range of quality and design, which really makes one wonder...
Shannon

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 05:10:53 PM »
Hey, check it out - Javier has something similar:

http://www.trocadero.com/svazzo/items/550741/item550741.html

I don't know about the F. Toso attribution (plausible, though I've never seen proof), but I'm willing to bet it's a J.I. import.
Shannon

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 02:22:58 PM »
I'm probably way off here but could it be Flygsfors?

It has some design similarities (imho) to this one.

Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 02:33:13 PM »
No.  I have several pieces of Flygsfors (which in my opinion is undervalued in the market), and it's definitely not by them.  As I've said before, I'm nearly certain it's J.I.  The only remaining question is whether it was designed/made by J.I., or if it's Fratelli Toso which J.I. may have imported.  Javier's attribution could very well be correct; some of these pieces are (to my eye) stylistically similar to F. Toso.

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 10:16:37 PM »
No.  I have several pieces of Flygsfors (which in my opinion is undervalued in the market)...

i agree! it's a shame because their glass is lovely and unambiguously identifiable (being that they are uniformly, permanently and legibly marked).  what would murano glassies do if we didn't have to spend weeks, months or even years in research to come up with an attribution that's reasonably solid? with all that free time we might find ourselves getting into mischief. idle hands and all...  >:D

bidda

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 06:18:36 PM »
Hey! Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200235439740

P.S. I totally agree about Flygsfors glass. I bought a piece with the intent to sell, but now that I've seen it in person...Now way. It's mine. :-)

Shannon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand