No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed glass crown jar, RD 183953, Alfred Edmund Edwardes, 14 February 1865.  (Read 20315 times)

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
Hi Glen
I have seen a blue (milk!!) glass cushion pot with a crown as the lid, on the base of the cushion is a Reg Diamond mark for 14 February 1865.

I used Thompson and found registeration was taken out by one Alfred Edmund Edwards of Alva Cottage Twickenham.

The piece is quite small cushion 3.5 to 4 inches square and about three inches high, was in an Antique Shop my wife and I visited today, but the piece was damgaed on the lid (crown) rim and at NZ$95 I was not prepeared to buy it. Also I did not have my camara, but I may be able to get a photo later.

It is not like your crown, but thought you may be interested in the reg.

Tony H in NZ

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Tony - thank you so much for your interesting information. I have a feeling that I've seen that precious little item in a book somewhere (but as usual can't remember which one  :oops: )

Thanks again, Tony. I'm grateful to you.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Here's a picture of that item in the National Archives.  ;D
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

I think I have seen lots of the metal one's but none made from glass or pottery.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
I just thought of the most obvious..... Alfred Edmund Edwardes did not have manufacturing facilities for glass, so he contracted it out.  At first, it did not have Baccarat's name embossed on the inside bottom, but was added at a later date (Edwardes allowed it, company went out of business, Baccarat bought the mold, etc).

Offline BJB

• Members
Hi all,

I have just bought a very large selection of glass, and am still going through it all, but this thing has caught me eye as it is so strange!

It is a lidded dish, with some damage, modeled as a crown in pale blue glass.

http://i25.tinypic.com/rkoche.jpg

But its the registration diamond that is strange.

http://i26.tinypic.com/2w317pc.jpg

The class number at the top is 1 which is for metal, glass is 111 (3), but the rest of the number is  W (February)  G (1865)  14 for the day and parcel no.8  I think.

Can anyone help?

Barbara

Mod: Pics added below

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Presumably also made in metal. Possibly related to Prince Consort's death... to early for silver jubilee. Cannot think of other relevant events c'65.

Try searching for metal examples there might be some documented.

Offline BJB

• Members

Hi Frank

I have just got my glasses on and have found in the back of Jenny Thompsons book an entry for the 14th Feb 1865, which reads I think

Date of deposit      No Of Parcel    No of design   Name of Proprietor 

14 feb 1865               8                  183593          Alfred Edmond Edwards

Address of Proprietor

Alver Cottage Twickenham Green
Middlesex

But nothing for metal, unless the mould was metal and he forgot to change the number?

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Hi

The same crown dish made in vaseline glass is shown on page 154 of Barrie Skelcher's The Big Book of Vaseline Glass

Roy

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection

I have just got my glasses on and have found in the back of Jenny Thompsons book an entry for the 14th Feb 1865, which reads I think

Date of deposit      No Of Parcel    No of design   Name of Proprietor 

14 feb 1865               8                  183593          Alfred Edmond Edwards

Address of Proprietor

Alver Cottage Twickenham Green
Middlesex

But nothing for metal, unless the mould was metal and he forgot to change the number?

Hi Barbara, It's quite hard to read isn't it, but the number is 183593, by Alfred Edmund Edwards, and under the date in tiny letters it says Classes I & IV.

The British Library help page on registered designs gives:    
Class 1    Metal
Class 4    Glass, earthenware, porcelain

I haven't find anything about A E Edwards though - wonder who he was?

Wikipedia says Prince Albert died in 1861, so a bit too early for this crown I'd have thought.

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline BJB

• Members
Hi Anne,

It is strange isn't it, metal and earthernware but no glass!

I can't find anything about him either, maybe an amatuer maker?

Barbara

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand