No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edward Moore shell dish find  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Edward Moore shell dish find
« on: June 26, 2008, 02:53:53 PM »
Just thought I'd show this pretty little shell dish which I rescued from a junk shop today.

It has a raised mark RD.107316, in the centre of each shell which is for Edward Moore & Co. South Shields and dated 5th Sept. 1888 (courtesy of Great Glass website :)).  I'm  not sure what it would actually have been used for, but I think it will be nice in the bathroom to hold soaps etc.

Not bad to have survived so long.
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Edward Moore shell dish find
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 03:10:50 PM »
That's a nice one. Which shop? Not the one you have to wriggle sideways into?  How big is it (not the shop)? Some of these small double thingys are salts but if it's bigger perhaps two varieties of jam or jam and marmalade.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 04:03:03 PM »
The Salvation Army shop ;D  I've been looking at it for a couple of weeks or so, and it finally worked its magic on me ;)

Its too large to be a salt, measuring just over 9" long and  2" high.  Quite heavy too.  Preserves sound a good idea.  Just about to deep clean it - decades of dirt ::) or should that be century?
Anne E.B

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 05:34:03 AM »
Anne — You are lucky to find it undamaged.   Those scalloped edges are so vulnerable ...

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 10:04:29 AM »
Unfortunately it has a couple of small slithers around the outside scallop edge which doesn't affect the shape, but not noticeable unless you really look.  I might try 'infilling' with clear nail varnish, just as an experiment (it can be removed easily with acetone free polish remover if it doesn't work).  I've always wanted to try that any way.
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand