No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: M&S Open bubble base vase, China  (Read 11838 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
M&S Open bubble base vase, China
« on: August 12, 2005, 01:13:49 AM »
More successful trip this time found a red Marks and Spencer bubble vase so I bought one for reference. Having spent quite some time inspecting the ones on the shelf (much to the bemusement of the staff!) I can now say that the base on most of them where the colour joins the clear glass is not evenly rounded like the Wirkkala ones are. Most have what I would call (for want of a better phrase) a Mexican wave shape to the join. I picked out one which is better than the rest and looks almost right although still a bit pointed in the centre - the Mexican wave ones are easily spotted as not Wirkkala but the more properly curved ones may fool some folks. Anyhow, here is my M&S sample vase so Peter (and everyone else) can see what I'm on about. By the way, the vase carried a label stating Made in China.

http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-423

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Anonymous

Re: M&S Open bubble base vase, China
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 06:59:15 AM »
Thank you Anne
I hope you didn't do it just for me ...but for the whole of glassdom !!

Thank you very much for your attention to the color to casing join (a much better way of putting it than my clumsy attempts). So that would seem to be another way to distinguish these items from the iitala ones as I originally thought.

The style is after (?) Timo Sarpaneva not Tapio W.
In another thread I beleive Ivo said that Timo's bubbles were NOT pierced.

I have recently seen some almost shockingly good Chinese glass. The style looks pure Scandi and the quality I have difficulty in faulting. They even have a polished pontil. So Beware !!! I shall return asap with camera and hope the shop owner is inclined to co-operate.

Peter ....still in A'dam

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 08:41:06 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"

I have recently seen some almost shockingly good Chinese glass.

Something I pointed out a few months back.... lets hope now that these Chinese glassmakers start applying their talents to something original as I feel culturally they have much to offer.... in glass that it....they dont do so well with chickens.

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 08:59:56 AM »
lets hope now that these Chinese glassmakers start applying their talents to something original as I feel culturally they have much to offer....

I agree, as I have been saying for some time (usually on the Paperweight forum  :roll: ), that Chinese glassmakers are making some great glass these days.  

Sadly, I think the Chinese culture is still not ready to allow the expression of individuality which would enable us to know exactly *who* made a particular item!  :(  :roll:  

Leni
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 09:17:39 AM »
It might be a good idea for someone to gather names in the glass world to make a joint representation to the Chinese government to produce identifiable glass. They need to earn export $'s and currently do this mainly based on cost. I am sure that they could be shown the benefits bothe culturally and economically to start to change direction as far as adding indelible markings. If they can at least identify glassworks if not individuals it would be a major progression.

I am not going to volunteer, too much on my plate now, but will happily contribute my name.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 03:18:20 PM »
Thank you Anne
I hope you didn't do it just for me ...but for the whole of glassdom !!

But of course Peter... although you can take the blame as the catalyst! :lol:

The style is after (?) Timo Sarpaneva not Tapio W.
In another thread I beleive Ivo said that Timo's bubbles were NOT pierced.

The ones appearing on eBay and elsewhere are being shown as TW as he *did* do a range of drinksware with the pierced bubble base so the assumption seems to be, if it's a pierced base then it must be TW.

A recent e.g. from eBay:  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7340780991

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 05:15:48 PM »
Anne said:
By the way, the vase carried a label stating Made in China.

In a department store in Holland, Ivo picked up a piece of glass and identified the country of origin by using the first two numbers of the barcode   :shock:   :!:  

00 stood for Romania (if I remember rightly).  I'm not sure if the numbers tally for the UK, but it was a brilliant ruse to see where the glass was made.
I am not a man

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 05:38:50 PM »
Here you go Max, a list of country prefixes used in barcodes: http://users.pandora.be/worldstandards/barcodes.htm#prefixes :lol:

The problem with using barcodes as identifiers is that they do not guarantee the country of origin, they give the country the barcode was issued in. The M&S vase, I seem to recall, had a 50 prefix indicating the UK as M&S are the UK retailer, rather than the code for China as the country of origin. (Many years ago, when the barcode technology was in its infancy, I did in depth research into how it all worked for a college project. It was intended then that barcodes should work in the way you indicate Max, but over the years it's not panned out that way!)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 06:38:04 PM »
Just adding an update to this re the red cased M & S vase mentioned in the original post - normally this gets dusted (sorry - that's the d-word!), but as it had a dead spider stuck in the bottom of it, I decided it was due for a warm bath instead. Imagine my surprise when washing it to find that the red simply floated off!  It was an applied coating on the inside of the vase.  Stopping washing before it all parted from the glass, and allowing the glass to cool (as I was bemused by the idea of a coating inside a vase that was water soluble - it's a vase for flowers for goodness sake!) I tested it with cold water and found the surface didn't float off, it only happened with the warmer water.  So however it was coated in the inside, the coating appeared to be stable for its use with cold water and flowers, and unstable in warm water being bathed! I now have a completely clear glass vase with a pierced bubble base... (pic to follow!)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 07:27:11 PM »
How odd!
And surprising that you didn't notice at the time - but I've found recently, going back to the recesses of the shelves and getting out things I have taken for granted for ages, that there are things I notice now that I did not see before.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand