No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anyone any ideas about this piece?  (Read 986 times)

Offline philippad2005

• Members
Anyone any ideas about this piece?
« on: June 27, 2008, 05:46:11 AM »
Clear Glass Vase - sort of honey pot shape. Measures 18 cms high and is approx 12 cms at its widest point and is heavy weighs 750 grams. A number of marks on the base - the number 2, four numbers that I cannot make out could be 2491, and a 'bird' or a 'flower' mark.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Anyone any ideas about this piece?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 07:03:57 AM »
Philippa — Welcome to the GMB.

It looks to me like an old honey jar in which honey was sold, fitted with a lid.   Comparing it with jam and marmalade jars in my kitchen cupboard, it's about the right size for a 2lb net weight container, which may explain the "2" on the base.  These honey jars, imitative of the old style coiled straw beehive or skep, were often re-used as flower vases, and they look very attractive too on a window ledge with the light shining throught the horizontal rings.   I've often wondered whether they were the inspiration behind the 1930s optic ribbing used for hand-blown vases by such firms as Thomas Webb, Whitefriars, and Royal Brierley.

It could have been made anywhere, but here in Britain more than likely by one of the huge bottle works of Barnsley.

As for the size, I know it's rather large, but most containers were made in both retail sizes and catering sizes to suit from the small café to the huge hotel.   I've had a 7lb Taylor's Mustard pot through my hands and I have heard of even larger.   It makes your eyes water just thinking about it!

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline philippad2005

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 08:42:05 AM »
Hi Bernard.  Many thanks for the information.  I found it in amongst other glass items that I've dated between 1860's to 1910.  Is it possibly from a similar period? Philippa :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 09:28:30 AM »
Philippa — I would give a broader date than that, circa 1860 – 1950 or even later.   Someone who knows bottles might be able to tell you what type of machinery was used to make it — dating it more accurately.

You haven't provided a location in your profile (always useful), but if you are ever in the S. Yorkshire area you might find it interesting and instructive to visit the bottle museum at Elsecar Heritage Centre, see here.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand